Thursday, February 03, 2011

UNUSUAL HOLIDAYS

Current Project: LEGACY series
Status: Anxiously looking forward to finishing the drafts of this nine-book series

Happy February! This is the traditional month of romance and Valentine's Day--some people love it and some people hate the thought of "forcing" a show of love.


If you're on the fence about Valentine's Day--as I am--you might want to try this twist that I just heard on Hay House Radio: show some love for yourself. (If you like spiritual development shows, I highly recommend theirs.) Perhaps I'll try this suggestion of self-love this year by doing some of my favorite things. Celebrate house projects being finished with a bubble bath in my whirlpool tub; light some vanilla candles and raise a glass of sparkling apple juice; then visit Konditorei for dessert...I may not wait for February 14!


I can also celebrate holidays in a more traditional way. I wrote a novella for A VALENTINE'S DAY ANTHOLOGY that was released last year and have a March 2011 release coming up called A ST. PATRICK'S DAY TALE.


However, what really piques my interest is more unusual holidays, like Ground Hog's Day. Though this blog won't be published until February 3, I'm writing it on Punxsutawney Phil's day. He predicted an early spring, by the way, in agreement with the crocus that's now blooming in my side yard (similar to the photo above that came from

http://www.cathyflower.com/home.html. There are some beautiful photos of flowers and flower arrangements on this site).

I found a fun Web site that lists not only unusual monthly holidays, but a holiday for every day of every month http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/index.htm.


Did you know that January is National Oatmeal Month? Or that January 3 is Fruitcake Toss Day? February 4 was listed as Create a Vacuum Day. Or perhaps you'd like to celebrate National Tooth Fairy Day on February 28.


Wow! All this generates many more story ideas. If I didn't already have lots of books to write this year, I'd suggest that my publisher consider anthologies of unusual holidays in addition to the more traditional holiday anthologies they are releasing. This could start a new subgenre!


Do you have a favorite holiday? What is it and why? (Feel free to visit the Web site above for ideas.)

No comments: