Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Is there a Happy Ending in the house?

Current Project: Ghost Girl
Status: Approximately 72,000 words


Most Recent Read: Devon Monk's Magic at the Gate

Currently Read: Stephanie Meyer's Eclipse

Planned Next Read: Emile Bronte's Wuthering Heights (no, I've never read this book, but someone at work had a copy last week, I read the backcover and thought, 'Wow! I HAVE to read this book!')


Hi, my name is Dawn and my wordcount hasn't moved in the past two weeks. (Why does it feel so shameful to admit that?)


Just because I haven't been typing doesn't mean I haven't been writing. I've gone through three subtly different endings for the book in my head. I think I just about have it nailed down. The difficult part for me is, I don't want to give my couple a happy ending. Is this my subconscious telling me I haven't provided my happy couple with enough dragons earlier in the book?


So I've also been picking out books to read in the past couple of weeks that include major conflict between the hero and heroine, where they come together at the beginning of the book, split with major conflicts in the middle, then bring it back together during the last couple of chapters. I am trying to tell my internal writer that it is okay to have the Happily Ever After ending, Happily Ever Afters have many different renditions, and I can still have the sense of loss I am trying to instill if I plot it out and pace it well throughout the book.


A more experienced writer would probably get it all right the first time, when typing their first draft. Me? Well, since I am working on the first draft of my first book, I hit a few more potholes in the road. But... I already know where I am going to go back and fix a few elements in the book. I already have loss and separation written in the middle of the book. So now I just have to bring the guy and girl together at the end. With whatever subliminal suggestions I might want to add for relationship conflict in the next book.


So what about you? When you sit down to write, do you always have a rosy picture of your hero and heroine in mind, wrapped in each other's arms in the glorious rays of sunset? Do you see the happy ending from the beginning of the book? Or do you see the relationship tortures and pitfalls more clearly, that your wannabe happy couple will have to surmount?

No comments: