Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Genre Hopping Lush

Current Project: Spirit of the Sky
Status: 20,000+ words

I love the topic for this month. Why? You ask. Because I'm a genre hopping lush. I'm not addicted to one genre, no, I go where my characters go, be it historical western romance, contemporary western romance, paranormal historical romance, action/adventure romance, or mystery with romantic elements.

The only key genre for me is romance. And I don't understand why they make people use different names when they write different genres. If you like a writer when they write one thing, I would think their core theme and voice, which is probably why you read, them would come through.

Or not, I like Nora Robert's older stuff, but I don't like what she writes as J.D. Robb. I don't care to read or watch things about the future or sci-fi. But I also read one of her newer Nora books and it was on the verge of too gritty for me. So I go back to her character driven books of her earlier writing years sitting on my book shelf and read those. Yes, I know this about myself while I like a good mystery plot, the other thing that hooks me in a book is the characters. I have to like them to keep reading.

So do you know your genre or are you a genre lush like me and write books for the characters and not the genre?

1 comment:

Genene Valleau said...

Hey, Paty! I see this as another of your skills: being able to write well in a number of different genres.

Part of my March release in A ST. PATRICK'S DAY TALE was a time machine visit to the past. Gah! Fortunately, one of my critique partners writes historical romance and flagged some issues. Suffice it to say I won't be writing straight historical romance any time soon. :)

I'll stick with contemporary romance, but I do write romantic comedy novellas as well as longer, more dramatic stories--both under my own name.