Wednesday, February 16, 2011



Current Project: Spirit of the Sky
Status: A third of the way

My struggle is trying to promote my books when they are several subgenres.

Subgenres are the more dissected genres.

The major genres are:

Romance stories that focus on love and relationships.
Westerns historical fiction that deals with life in the American west pre1900.
Mysteries these books have characters who investigate crimes or mysteries.
Science fiction these books have scientific data as the basis with stories that have apocalypse scenarios, future worlds, or space travel, etc.
Fantasy or Paranormal has “unreal” or magical things, or things not possible in the real world, and may contain alternate worlds and/or mythical and made up creatures or peoples.
Thrillers have themes with or without spies who usually are involved in investigating various events, many times on a global scale or a government scandal.
Horror deals with supernatural or apocalyptic events, usually graphic cases of murder or mutilation caused by humans or other sources.
Historical fiction invents characters or deeds for a specific time period telling the story of that time period through fictional and non-fictional but fictionalized characters.
Suspense these are books that keep you on the edge of your seat like a thriller or a mystery but not as worldly as a thriller and more murders/violence than a mystery.
Action Adventure The words pretty much sum it up. It's a read that has lots of action and adventure. Not as spy-filled as a thriller, but can have some mystery and more lighthearted than a suspense.
Detective/police stories are just that; books with the main characters carrying out detective and police work.
Woman's Fiction stories about women and their struggles and triumphs. They can be about best friends, mothers and daughters, sisters, cousins, any female relationships.
Literary these are books where a story is told which may or may not have a clear meaning.
Mainstream are books on any subject hat isn't clearly stated in the genres above.

The description of subgenres from Free Dictionary is: A subcategory within a particular genre: The academic mystery is a subgenre of the mystery novel.

So you can combine any of the above genres and you have subgenres.

What do you like to read? A pure genre book or do you browse and read the subgenre books? What do you write? A pure genre or a subgenre? Is there a reason you prefer either or both?

***Disclaimer- This is not all the genres, these are the main ones.

www.patyjager.net
www.patyjager.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

Hey, Paty!

Don't know if it's where my mind is this morning or the wording of these definitions, but these make sense. That's saying something for me, as subgenres of subgenres of subgenres usually make my eyes twitch.

I'm not a purist when it comes to reading or writing subgenres. I read what sounds good to me, and write the same way--as long as the main characters get their happily-ever-after and the bad guys get justice.

I think you do a great job promoting your books. They seem to all deal with the American west--historical or contemporary--and you live that life, which sets you up as an expert. It's perfect!

Sarah Raplee said...

I Paty,

I agree with Genene about yur position as an expert in the western market, but I can see where writing in various subgenres of that market might slow the buildup of your loyal fans. Some people read narrowly.
Personally, I read widely and enjoy subgenre/crossgenre books as well as 'straight-genre' fiction. I write straight romantic suspense and subgenres of romantic suspense.(Sub-sub-genres?)

Paty Jager said...

Hi Genene, I noticed I forgot to give my post a title. Oops! I was waiting until after I wrote the post to figure out what it would be and then CRS hit!

I'm glad the genres were clear for you. I didn't want to go into too much detail.

Thank you for you kind words about my western flavor to them all.

Hi Sarah!
That's what I'm finding about the western genre and why I'm kind of branching out.

I'm excited to read one of your books.

Bethany said...

You are the queen of promotion! Zoe Archer has written in several places about the hardships of multi-genre promotions when works defy genre conventions.

http://www.zoearcherbooks.com/Home.html

I still love you all and follow the blog when I can!

Genene Valleau said...

Bethany, so good to hear your voice on the blog! Glad you are dropping in when you can!

Paty Jager said...

Hi Bethany! I'll check this out. Thanks!