Monday, January 03, 2011

Weekly Progress Check-In


Welcome to the Mid-Willamette Valley RWA's weekly progress post.

This is the first weekly check-in of 2011. We will be checking in every Monday throughout the year.

Set a goal for yourself and then come back weekly to post your progress. 


PRIZES:  The best prize is reaching your personal goal and finishing your book.  But if you need an extra little incentive, remember:  any chapter member who reaches her personal goal by the end of the year receives a prize at the year-end party.  Non-members can win, too.  Non-members who show up for at least 20 weekly check-ins will have their names entered in a drawing for a gift card from Powell's, the world's largest independent bookstore.

Here are some calculations to get you thinking about goals:

A standard double-spaced manuscript page is about 250 words.
A category-length manuscript is generally 50,000-80,000 words (depending on line).
A single-title manuscript is generally 75,000-125,000+ words (depending on market/genre).

How many pages would you like to write this year? How many books?
1 page per day = 250 words per day times 365 days = 91,250 words written in 2011.
2 pages per day = 500 words per day times 365 days = 182,500 words written in 2011.
3 pages per day = 750 words per day times 365 days = 273,750 words written in 2011.
4 pages per day = 1000 words per day times 365 days = 365,000 words written in 2011.
5 pages per day = 1250 words per day times 365 days = 456,250 words written in 2011.

A little writing every day adds up to a lot accomplished by the end of the year.

So, what's your writing goal in 2011?

5 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I love making my goal public. It makes me work all the harder to "git 'r' done"!

My goal is to finish two books this year. I don't want to name them in case the powers that be grant me an agent and I have to work on something other than I have set in my mind. ;)

I'm starting a new book with a new year. I'm currently at 3,400 words and my goal for next Monday is to be to 10,000 but I'm having a tooth extracted tomorrow so I'm not sure how coherent I'll be for a couple of days.

Love getting this blog running again! I missed it!

Deborah Wright said...

Happy New Year!

I'm with Paty -- I missed the blog and love getting it going again!

2010 was a less than great year for me in many ways, including not attaining the writing goals I'd set for myself. I'm determined not to have that happen this year! In that spirit, I'm calling 2011 "The Year I Finish A Novel."

My minimum word count goal is 500 words/day or 3500 words/week.

I'm looking forward to checking in every week. :-)

Barbara Cool Lee said...

Hi, guys.

I'm so sorry you're having a tooth extracted, Paty. I hope you're not sidelined by that for too long.

My own goal this year is to write 1000 words per day. That's it. Just BIC-HOK.

Barb

Sarah Raplee said...

Life happened last year, and I didn't finish my second manuscript.I have about 12,000 words to go (just double-checked). My first goal is to finish this damn book!

Course, I got a call last night - my daughter-in-law in Astoria went into labor 2 months early. The contractions stopped (she had an infection), but she needs me to stay with her and the 3 grandkids tomorrow through Monday while my son is out-of-town on business.

Writing, much? Doubtful. *SIGH* But the important thing is that Mother and Baby are fine.

My goal is to write some new words this weekend. Any words. Don't care how many, LOL!

Genene Valleau said...

Yes, delightful to have the blog up and running again!

I've been deep in finishing house projects, so don't have numbers broken down yet. However, I will have my nine-book family saga series substantially completed by the end of the year. Should have word counts to share by the end of the month.

Happy writing to all!