Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quote of the Day




I'm going to be discussing writing-related quotes and words of advice this year.  I thought I'd start with some quotes about goals, since we're all working on goal-setting for the year.




Today's quote is from Andrew Wood:  "Where many people go wrong in trying to reach their goals is in constantly looking for the big hit, the home run, the magic answer that suddenly transforms their dreams into reality. The problem is that the big hit never comes without a great deal of little hits first. Success in most things comes not from some gigantic stroke of fate, but from simple, incremental progress."

This is a good quote for me, because I need to work on setting concrete, achievable, SMALL goals.  I tend to think of my overall goal ("finish the book") instead of setting small goals ("write two pages today").  I end up getting frustrated when life (inevitably) gets in the way.

My goal this year is to set small, incremental goals that will build over the course of the year.  This month, I will write 1000 words per day (about four pages).  That's it.  No fancy overall goals, no kicking myself if I fall short.  Just sit down and write 1000 words.  If I don't succeed one day, then start over again the next day and try to write 1000 words.

If I do this, by the end of the year I'll have completed several books.

Do you set goals for yourself?  If you do, how do you do it?  Do you do it yearly, weekly, or at other times?  How do you keep on track toward achieving your goals, and what do you do when you run into roadblocks on the way to your goals?

3 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

Great quote, Barb. :) Your method of goal seeting reminds me of advice I've read about staying on a diet. Take it one day at a time, and if you slip up, don't beat yourself up about it. Forgive yourself and get back on track.

Deborah Wright said...

That's a great reminder, Barb.

What I'm finding is that I've had to re-learn something I already knew about how to make that incremental progress happen. My daily to-do list now starts with: 1. Write. Everything else I need or want to do comes after that. Once that's out of the way, then I can answer emails, surf the 'net (er, research, that's it), etc.

Paty Jager said...

Sheesh, Barb! All those questions. LOL
I like the quote!

Do you set goals for yourself? Yes
If you do, how do you do it?tell myself this needs to be done by ___. I've always been a person who wants to please. If I don't meet my goal I don't please me and therefore I can make myself miserable when I don't meet a goal. Do you do it yearly, weekly, or at other times? What ever needs done. Like I have to write two books this year to finish my series How do you keep on track toward achieving your goals, and what do you do when you run into roadblocks on the way to your goals? I make myself crazy when I miss my goals