Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How I stay focused...or not

Current Project:Spirit of the Sky Status:Chapter five


My goal this year is to stay focused. Having a penchant for research I decided to research the word focus and this is what I found. There are seven definitions for the word.

1)a point at which rays(as of light, heat, or sound) converge for which they diverge or appear to diverge: This could be my thoughts. They start at my mind(focus) and go in different directions. I need to learn how to send them all the same direction.

2)a Focal Length b. adjustment for distinct vision: the area that may be seen distinctly or resolved into a clear image c. a state or condition permitting clear perception of understanding d. direction Direction. This is what I need. To set my sites on ONE project at a time and work to its end before skittering after a new shiny.

3)one of the fixed points that with the corresponding directrix defines a conic section Huh? I never understood geometry.

4)a localized area of disease of the chief site of a generalized disease or infection Disease, yes, I have the disease of always detouring from a project to write the illusive book to capture the agent's heart and contract.

5)a center of activity, attraction, or attention; b. a point of concentration Concentration? You mean I have to concentrate on one thing??

6) place of origin of an earthquake or moonquake Hmm.. Don't think I can apply that to anything. Oh, wait. Is that the feeling the heroine has when they finally fulfill their craving for one another?

7)directed attention I have come up with a fantastic idea for a mystery series. It has a middle-aged cafe owner, a sheriff, and crazy Lil...

And that readers is how you stay focused on your goals...or not.

www.patyjager.net
www.patyjager.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Hallooo, anyone out there? I'm back and will catch up on the posts I've missed while gone.

Sarah Raplee said...

I laughed out loud reading your examples! Nice post, Paty!

Genene Valleau said...

Sheesh! How did I get so far behind on posting comments? I was not out of town as Paty was, but definitely out of touch. (House projects still being my main focus.)

I've definitely learned to focus intensely over the past month and a half--though I didn't chuckle during that time as I did when I read your post.

Paty, so glad you made it home safely, and provided some humor today!

Deborah Wright said...

LOL! I particularly like #6 and #7 :-)

Yeah, focus is something I'm working on, too, this year. But it's sure hard to resist the lure of the bright shiny idea...

That sucking sound you hear is me pulling my metaphoric boots out of the "What if?" quagmire. :-)

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Sarah. Can you tell I'm still having problems staying focused?

Thanks Genene. After being gone I really have to focus on writing. I spent all of today catching up on e-mails and some promo and running errands. Tomorrow doesn't look much better.

Deborah, Yeah that''s me... I wish I had the excuse I was ADD or something but I'm not. I like the visual you made of the quagmire.

Dawn D. Young said...

My focus is pulled multiple directions - when the rest of the house is awake. But when I'm writing, I get in the 'zone', and it can be difficult (and dangerous to the person trying to do so!) to try and disturb me from the zone. As long as I have a nice cup of chai tea latte (or decaf tea, as I have to drink for the next four months) I am as happy as happy can be, putting out the words as quickly as my fingers can type.

Dawn D. Young said...

My focus is pulled multiple directions - when the rest of the house is awake. But when I'm writing, I get in the 'zone', and it can be difficult (and dangerous to the person trying to do so!) to try and disturb me from the zone. As long as I have a nice cup of chai tea latte (or decaf tea, as I have to drink for the next four months) I am as happy as happy can be, putting out the words as quickly as my fingers can type.