Saturday, July 17, 2010

SUMMER CHECK-IN/ CHALLENGE


Current Project: series Status:page 185

Hey everyone. The wedding was charming -- back to work on Tuesday. The page count reflects only fifteen pages this week but it is a lot more meaningful than that to me as I've finally reached the end of a section that was very hard to write. Some of it will undoubtedly be cut in the end, but for now, it's there on paper, so to say, and that's a good feeling. Did I write everyday? No. I took off three days for the wedding, but that's okay.

In the last book I wrote I warned myself to start the ending way earlier than usual so I wouldn't feel so rushed. It worked well for me and it's my plan to do that again with this book. Today will see the start of the next to last big push and as the characters have been apart for some time and have a lot to say to each other, I'm looking forward to some rousing dialogue.

How did you do? Did you write every day? Like me, did you completely abandon it only to return reinvigorated? I really wanted to take yesterday off so I got up early and got my pages in before noon -- that meant the afternoon was free and without guilt. If I don't figure out ways to do that, then I spend all the time I'm away feeling antsy and bad that I'm not home working or at least sitting there ready to work should lightening strike. Creating an afternoon escape as a carrot worked beautifully.

Goal today five or six pages, maybe more. Goal tomorrow, ditto. Repeat for the week. I hope you remember to check in and tell us how you're doing.

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Congrats on the beautiful wedding and the progress, Alice.

I wrote every day just not on the WIP. This was a wicked promotion week! I wrote blogs, press releases, was on a day long chat, and I taught an online workshop.

In between, I snared a person who lives in Guatemala and is willing to help me make things factual- to that end, I've had to fix a couple things and I'm waiting for her info on fires in the rain forest. It seems I may have put my dig site in the middle of a burned down forest. If so I'll have to rewrite chapter 2 and on because the travel will be different and the scenery and dig site will look different OR I'll have to change directions which would change the mode of travel(they wouldn't be on a river. So the WIP is on hold until I get these things established. But I'm excited that I have accurate information. I've kind of felt like I was floating and not really grounded with this so far and now I feel confident.

I'm headed to Princeton tomorrow and hope my contact gets the info back to me early enough I can get some good writing in while I'm there.

Have a great weekend!

Genene Valleau said...

Hi, Alice! Glad the wedding went well, and that you're making wonderful progress on your book.

Like you, I didn't write every day this past week, but I wrote for longer chunks of time on the days I did write.

The novella is about 2/3 done and going smoothly. Since this story is going to flow in with two other novellas, we met again Thursday and talked about how this was going to happen. I haven't worked on this kind of project before, but I've known these two authors for years. We each have a different writing style--no surprise there--and it's fun to link our three stories with the common element of a time machine.

I also worked on my series some this past week, coming up with some key answers to the plot that connects all nine books.

All in all, a very productive writing week. This coming week should be more of the same.

Paty, how great that you've found a Guatemala contact! Fingers crossed that you get the info you need to make major progress while you're in Princeton.

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- That's neat about the contact in Guatemala. I know what you mean about floating -- it's why we're going to Wyoming (it's also why I tend to create countries).

Hope your contact gets back to you before you leave! Happy writing.

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene -- Sounds as though all your projects are perking along happily. It must be fun working with good friends and trying something different. I spoke with a friend this week who is in a bit of a tight spot with book writing right now so she wrote a 4,000 word story for a confession magazine, just for the heck of it. I think next time I'm between books I'll try my hand at that again. It's been almost twenty years since I wrote one, I wonder if I still can.

Hope this week is great for you.

Genene Valleau said...

Hi, all! Just going to tag onto last week's check-in before I dig into work.

I had a great writing day at the beginning of the week...and nothing after that. So this is Big Push week for writing and a couple other projects. The novella needs to be finished to send out for critique by August 31, so my new computer glasses will get a great workout this week.

Hope you all stay cool and have a productive writing week!

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, I think checking into the old summer blog is a great idea. Less possibility for me to forget! Glad you've got your week plotted (so to say...) I made some progress -- not as much as I wanted as I once again got mired in finicky details that needed to be ironed out before I proceeded. Frustrating, but for now, I'm off again. This is a real start and stop book so far.

Genene Valleau said...

Hi, Alice!

Adding on to previous posts can make it easier all around!

A start and stop book--that's sounding suspiciously like my novella. Though now I mostly need to plant my fanny at the computer and go!

Hope you have a productive week!

Paty Jager said...

That's good you're moving forward, Genene! And Alice starts and stops some times can't be avoided.

No writing on the WIP this week. I was waiting for info from my source in Guatemala so I did one last polish of the second spirit book and will send it to my editor this week. I also did a bunch of promoting and will be again all this week. I also received the info I was looking for today so I can get back in the WIP this coming week.

I stained the parts of our house I could reach with scaffolding and we'll get a lift to finish the rest this week before I head to Princeton again.

Happy writing all!