Thursday, June 10, 2010

DESIGN YOUR OWN AVATAR

Posted by: Amber Angel (Genene's alter-ego/avatar)
Current Project: St. Patrick's novella

Status: Needs work!

Amber Angel here, pinch-blogging for Christine Young, who is on the way to California for her niece's graduation.

Most of you know me as Genene, but my online name for the books I'm doing for Rogue Phoenix Press (Christine's e-publishing company) is Amber Angel. It's a tongue-in-cheek PR idea that was the brainchild of Chris Kraemer. Some of you may have previously visited our Rogue's Angels' blog (And since "Genene" just blogged on Tuesday, who wants to hear from her again already?)

I'm not usually on the cutting edge of technology, but I just realized tonight that "Amber Angel" sounds like an avatar for me as defined by Wikipedia: "An avatar is a computer user's representation of himself/herself or alter ego whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games, a two-dimensional icon (picture) or a one-dimensional username used on Internet forums and other communities..."

I have not seen the movie, AVATAR, so my apologies in advance for any gaffes I may commit in this blog post. However, it's not the movie I intend to discuss, but avatars.

Let's have fun with this if you want to play along. Choose an avatar--and not necessarily a blue one--for yourself. What would that avatar look like? What personality traits would your avatar have? Or perhaps you already use a different personality online. If so, why? And how is that personality different from the "real" you?

My alter-ego, "Amber Angel," is younger and thinner than me, and always has a winning smile. She also wears wings and hangs out with the other Rogue's Angels most of the time. The "real" me is determined not to age, is losing weight, and is sometimes grumpy. I rarely wear wings and am usually surrounded by dogs--the furry, four-legged kind. Hmm...I think Amber Angel should acquire a dog.

Please introduce your own avatar--I'm looking forward to meeting them!

5 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

My apologies! I'm pinch-blogging for Chris Young and only part of the post showed up. If you want to design your own avatar, please join me!

Alice Sharpe said...

This is a hard one, Genene. Me as as an alternate entity? I never thought of that.

Okay, so my avatar would be ageless. She would be beyond ugly or beauty, she would be pure light. She would understand everything and she would respond to no negativity. She would save all the critters who need saving, all the children who need help, and she would spread sunshine and brilliant light wherever she went.

She would be kind. She would be smart. She would be intuitive and oh, yeah, she would be a fantastic writer.

Genene Valleau said...

I love your avatar, Alice!

In fact, I think I will incorporate some of your avatar's qualities into my alter-ego. :)

Katie said...

My avatars are usually horses.

Yeah, I grew up on the internet. You could even say it taught me everything I know. ;)

Genene Valleau said...

Hey, Katie! I used to be around horses a lot. I love the smell of them! Ahem, of them, not their by-product. :)

Thanks for stopping by. Are you finished with school?