Saturday, May 08, 2010

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


I tried writing this post last night, but my brain was too mushy from the cold that's decided to take residence in my head. I waited for inspiration to strike this morning -- no such luck. So I'm afraid you're stuck with this rambling, non-sequitor, goofy stream-of-consciousness that are the thoughts rambling through my brain at the moment (and that I wish I could blame on my cold!).

I was (and still am) sick with the aforementioned cold. Even so, I managed to eke out over 1200 words. I imagine many of those words were barely coherent and will get re-written sometime in the future, but still! It felt good to move forward, albeit on shaky ground. I was reminded that I can't fix what I haven't written, so it's all good.

I thought a lot about dominoes last week. About how I hadn't realized that's how I thought of plot until I mentioned it (offhandedly) in my last check-in post. It's true, though. I used to think of plot as linear; as a line of dominoes ready to fall. Set everything up and tip the first block and everything falls neatly from there. If that's the case, I should be able to plan the line. Even if it meanders, I should know where it's going, right?

Turns out I'm more of a hindsight girl. I can't know where I'm going until I get there and look back at where I've come. (Yeah, I'm hoping that makes sense.) Thing is, I'm hoping once I get to the end, I'll be able to look back at that line of dominoes and make sure they don't peter out unexpectedly in spots or clump up in others. Plotting in reverse. I'll have to think about that some more when my brain doesn't hurt.

It's a beautiful sunny day here. I think I'm going to take the laptop outside for awhile. Who knows? Maybe I'll actually write a few more words before I fall asleep under the trees.

How was your week? Let us know how it went--great, good or indifferent. Hopefully I'm the only one who was laid low!

4 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

Hi, Debbie! Sorry your cold is still hanging on. Glad you were able to get some words in your computer in spite of not feeling well. Hopefully this beautiful sunshine will hurry your recovery.

I've spent a nice chunk of the day outside and it feels sooooo good!

I like your analogy of plot being like dominoes, though I find my plot meanders rather than falling neatly into place. :)

Speaking of meandering plots, I'm back to working on the timeline for my nine-book series, which has generated more story twists and scene sheets as I dig deeper into the stories. It's great! I'll continue with the timeline and digging into the stories this week. Because so many elements are interconnected in this series, my process is not like it's been for the individual books I've written previously. It's more like I make an advance on one story, get to a pivotal point that affects the entire family of characters, and switch to another story to bring it up to that point so I keep the story facts straight. It's an interesting process.

I also have more work to do on my novella, which I plan to work on after another dose of this beautiful sunshine.

Hope everyone has a productive week!

Paty Jager said...

Debbie, that's good you made some progress even feeling under the weather. I like your domino theory. But plotting for me is more like a puzzle, I try one thing, it doesn't quite fit, then I try another until I find the piece that fits.

Genene, it sounds like you're moving along on the series.

I don't know how many words I wrote for sure this week. I'm up to 17,000 total. Terri's exercise on Thursday night helped me see my heroine a little clearer. I'm going to do the same thing for my hero and see if I've dug deep enough to know him well.

I enjoyed the outside a while this afternoon pulling weeds and raking the grass.

Kendra said...

I hate being sick! Especially if I have a writing goal to achieve. I can't write at all when I have a head cold.

I had a great week. The kids were gone from saturday to saturday and I enjoyed myself. I got lots done with writing and non-writing.

Katie said...

I've been writing, but got slowed down when lame school work hit. AGAIN. Can they just NOT give me any assignments? Sheesh. But steady progress is being made, and I am so eager to return and write a ton!

Hooray for your success, gals! I am so happy for all of you. ^_^ Great things are coming, I can tell.