Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Psychological Warfare

Current Project: St. Patrick's Day Anthology
Status: 2 more chapter outlined.

Mind Styles to help build character profiles:

How well do you know your character? How can you develop conflict just with a character profile? Dr. Anthony Gregore published The Style Delineator in 1982 culminating twelve years of study and research.

This resource guide can give writers a way to enhance conflict and humor as well as bring the hero and heroine to a deeper understanding of each others personality. We all understand that characters must undergo change and growth if they are to find true happiness. We understand too that the conflicts must be resolved before the end of the manuscript. Conflicts are not always on the physical level. Sometimes the problems that separate the characters are on a psychological level.

Gregore defines four personality types: Concrete Sequential, Abstract Random, Concrete Random, and Abstract Sequential.

A brief overview of each as defined by Gregore:
Concrete Sequential--These are the "recipe kids." They want to know the who, what, when, where, and why of every task encountered, with the what receiving the major emphasis. Being Concrete and Sequential the view is always so clear…to them. They wonder "will the rest of the world ever be so precise and to the point?
Favorite sayings--"If it's worth doing do it well." "I'm from Missouri, show me." "If it isn't in writing, it doesn't exist."

Abstract Random--Abstract Randoms are "flakes." In their best form they are like snow flakes--each is beautifully unique, each joins with others with flexibility and ease. United they cover and bring together the world in a dazzling art display. They are the emotional, heart centered, sensitive point that establishes rapport with other points in a spirit of good will.
Favorite sayings--"If it feels good, do it." "Take time to smell the roses." "The heart has reasons, that reason has no knowledge of."

Concrete Random--These folks are the intuitive leapers. They can come up with answers before the question arises. They comprise a significant portion of the "futurists." More than any other point, they jump back and forth between fact and theory. This fantastic brainstorming capability also frequently leaves them in a position of not being able to explain their thinking to other points.
Favorite sayings--"Who says I can't?" "The most incomprehensible thing about our world is that it is comprehensible." "Tell me no, and I'll do it anyway."

Abstract Sequential-- These chosen ones are like "Spocks" from Star Trek. They know Descarte's first principle. Cogito Ergo Sum "I think therefore I am." They also know that the real world is the abstract, nonphysical world of thoughts and mental constructions. Abstract Sequesntials know a lot, and they know they are only scratching the surface of the vast world of ideas.
Favorite sayings--As I think, so I am." "I'm writing you this long letter because I didn't have time to write you a short letter." "Knowledge is power."

Gregore Identifies many other attributes of these mind styles, including: A list of priorities, partial lists of strengths, annoyance - to other mind styles, and personal preferences.

Many of my friends labeled me as Abstract Random but after taking the test I am not AR.
What time of mind style do you think you are?
Can you identify the mind style of some of the characters you write?


urrent Project:
Status:

6 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

I think these mind styles would be easier to understand if Gregore had called them "recipe kids," "flakes," etc. rather than concrete or abstract something-or-other, which makes my head hurt. :)

I don't fit neatly into any one of these mind styles, but am probably a combination of the Abstract Random and the Concrete Random, which makes me a flaky intuitive? LOL!

Actually, I think it's really helpful to use character profiles for ideas about characters, especially if those profiles list some ways different types of characters can annoy each other--great kick-start to brainstorm conflict.

As for characters, I think Madelaine in my current novella is an Abstract Random and Horace is closest to a Concrete Random.

Thanks for another tool to use in brainstorming!

Paty Jager said...

Chris that made my brain hurt! LOL
I don't do big scientific words.

I did understand the "Who says I can't" I think I must be a concrete Random.

Now my characters...Isabella is a Concrete Sequential and Tino is Concrete Random.

So does that make them a good combo?

Kendra said...

I am soooo concrete sequential. I suspect most of my characters are the same since I have a hard time wrapping my brain around any of the other types. lol. Which may be a symptom of being concrete sequential...

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I am definitely Concrete Random. This line pretty much sums me up:

This fantastic brainstorming capability also frequently leaves them in a position of not being able to explain their thinking to other points.

A few weeks ago I confused the hell out of Kendra when I tried to explain my book to her. IT MAKES SENSE! I swear it does!

LOL.

I have no clue what my MC's are for this book.

Piper Lee said...

Ooh, that was fun! Personally, I feel I'm Abstract Sequential. This really resonated with me... "As I think, so I am." "I'm writing you this long letter because I didn't have time to write you a short letter." "Knowledge is power."

That all really made sense to me. :)

My heroine, Shaylah, is Concrete Sequential, my hero, Laykn, is Concrete Random. Poor kids. LOL *kidding*

Alice Sharpe said...

LOL, Chris, I don't know about my characters, but I do think I may be concrete random in that I can seldom explain anything to anybody which is why I'm not a teacher and I am a pretty good brainstormer on occasion.

Now to classify my characters...