Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What I've Learned


Current Project: TEMPTED
Status: 80K words and counting

So, yep, it’s true. My first paranormal releases TODAY. MARKED, book one in my new Eternal Guardians Series, is loosely based on Greek mythology and centers around a race descended from the heroes of Ancient Greece. (You know those “guys” – Perseus, Odysseus, Jason, Hercules, etc. Think: Hunky hunks.) Writing this series is totally different from anything I’ve written before but I’ve learned 10 very interesting thing from it that I thought I’d share with you here:

10) Gods are snarky. Who knew? I certainly didn’t before I started writing this series. The worst of the bunch? Oh, Hades, by far. Okay, yeah, he can grind one into dust with a mere look, but guaranteed he’s got a wicked sense of humor while doing so. (At least you won’t die un-entertained.)

9) Daemons are really ugly creatures. Seven foot seething monsters with cat-like faces, dog ears and horns straight off a goat? Ew. Not attractive, and definitely not sexy. Now every time I hear about a romance where the main characters are demons, I have this visual pinging around in my brain and think, “ack!”

8) Having a soul mate is not a blessing. It’s a curse. Especially if the goddess Hera is involved.

7) The Three Furies like to show up in my books. I have NO idea why! I can’t seem to get rid of them. (Honestly, I think they’re obsessed with me, but don’t tell them I said so.)

6) Bookstores should not be burned (and I just want you to know, no bookstores were injured in the production of this book).

5) Lavender is more than a pretty scent!

4) Caves have really become my friend. I mean, seriously. Who doesn’t love a good dark, dank cave now and then?

3) Apparently, I’ve turned into the opposite of Walt Disney – instead of killing off the mother in every story I write, I do it to the father.

2) It doesn’t matter if a guy is human, god, or in between. He’s still slow on the uptake. (Why is that?)

And the number one thing I’ve learned from writing this book:

1) When you establish world building parameters that basically say your hero heals faster than normal because of his link to the gods, you set yourself up for rapid recovery. In all physical aspects. Especially the bedroom. And this lends itself to all kinds of new ideas. (My husband is so gonna roll his eyes at this part when he reads the book.)

So now that I’ve whet your appetite, head on over to my blog for my MARKED RELEASE BLOWOUT CELEBRATION. I’m giving away some very cool prizes in honor of the book's release. And I’ve posted the first chapter for everyone to read!

Happy Reading...and happy release day to ME!

12 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Congrats, Eli! Happy Release day!

Alice Sharpe said...

Having read this book, I can attest that it's all true, esp. that bedroom part.

Happy release date!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Thanks, Paty!

Alice - LOL. So glad you got to read it first. Since, well, you're the one to blame for the entire book.

Alice Sharpe said...

Eli -- Has it occurred to you that "daemons are snarky" in YOUR books because you are, well, you know....

Piper Lee said...

Congrats on your release day! Loved your post, btw. LOL

Still, I don't know why you had to go and make your daemons eyes green. *sigh* I really don't. What's so wrong with green eyes? I love green eyes. ;)

Can't wait to hear how MARKED is "flying off the shelves" and they have to do another print run; and I anxiously await the great reviews it's going to get from your readers and fans.

I'm so happy for you and so proud of you! This is a great series, Eli. You just keep getting better and better. The only down side is, now we have to sit and wait for ENTWINED to be released. *impatiently tapping foot*

Enjoy your release day!!!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ahem. Alice. The daemons aren't snarky, it's the gods that are snark-filled.

And no, I have zero idea where they would have gotten that from. I mean, I'm an angel.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

LOL, Piper. I didn't want to give them red eyes. That's so "over done". Since my DH has green eyes, I thought that was kind of fitting (said with that evil laugh...)

Actually, they're *glowing* green eyes, so they're not exactly the same as yours. Just wait until you get to book 3 and the witches with the yellow acidic blood...

Thanks for the congrats. Your support means the world to me!

Genene Valleau said...

Happy release day, Eli! Sounds like you had many, um, "interesting" discoveries while writing this book. :)

Kendra said...

LOL! Good stuff. Happy release day!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Thanks Genene & Kendra!!

Alice Sharpe said...

I misquoted you!!!!! Ack!!!!!!!

Katie said...

Ooh, a release! How fun!! I am so excited for you, and my mom is practically bouncing off the walls she's so giddy about it. ^_^ It's kinda cute.

I love snarkiness! And hunky hunks. Sounds fun. :D