Saturday, April 03, 2010

SATURDAY CHECK-IN



I don't know about you, but this last week went by way too fast for me. As you can see by the graphic, I didn't manage to write at all (and yes, that is my computer mocking me). So much for my 7150 word goal.

In the past, if I'd had a week like this I'd be beating myself up for missing my goal. I'd flounder around, trying to figure out if I'd set too high a goal or not high enough. I might even start questioning whether I really have what it takes to be a writer.

Care for some more melodrama, anyone?

Not this week. Perhaps it's because several things cropped up that I hadn't planned on that I had to take care of. Or maybe it's because I've written the next couple of scenes in my head and just need to get them down in the computer. Whatever the reason, I have an odd confidence that I'll make up the words and then some in the coming weeks.

Am I completely fooling myself? Should I go back to wailing my frustrations? Nah. I think it's time for a new song. This week was just a blip in a long process. There will be weeks when I write far more than my goal and weeks, like this last, where I don't write a single word. I'll still get to "The End," no matter how many words I write in a single week.

Now it's your turn. How'd you do this week? Did the course of writing flow true and sweet for you? Or did you hit a snag? Inquiring minds want to know.

My goal for the coming week: 10,000 words. Check-in next Saturday and keep me honest!

8 comments:

Deborah Wright said...

Commenting to get notified by email!

Alice Sharpe said...

Sounds to me as if you've made a mental leap in how you view yourself, Debbie -- from a woman who writes as a hobby to a woman who regards herself a writer. I didn't get anything written this week, either. Did a little rewriting, but still waiting to hear and that's keeping me inactive with writing.

My goal for this week is to move ahead -- if not on this book, then on a different project. It's April -- time is a wasting.

Good luck on your ten thousand words!

Kendra said...

Wow, Debbie! That's quite the goal. Good luck.

Alice, I can't believe it is
April already. Where did the beginning of this year go?

Hopefully the next bit of writing I tackle will be revisions from an agent. Until then I'm looking ahead at Nationals and doing what I can now to prepare.

Paty Jager said...

Ahh, same boat. I didn't write a word on anything new this week. I did, however, receive edits for the contemporary that's contracted, so as soon as my company leaves I'll hit those.

I know the scene that will start my next book and I'm slowly gathering all the information I need for said book. And getting more and more excited and nervous.

Debbie, I agree with Alice, sounds like you have made the step from hobby writer to career writer. Way to go!

Kendra, such great news!!

Lisa Leoni said...

You go girl!!! I like your attitude :) I got a couple hundred words on my WIP, but lots on my thesis. Well not really lots, but some. Time to get back to it!

Genene Valleau said...

Hey, Debbie! I also hear a different perspective in your words. Congratulations and good luck on meeting your goal for the coming week!

I spent a couple hours working on my novella for the St. Patrick's anthology. Not as much as I wanted to spend by far, but I did wrap up several other projects that had been dragging on longer than expected. With those out of the way, I'll have more time for taxes and my stories. :)

Hope you all have a productive week!

Katie said...

Haha, melodrama. I know how that is. I'm always mentally bashing myself for not having written. I need to get back into the habit again. For a while, I was writing everyday. It was awesome. Then my stupid teachers decided to give me more homework... (yes, they WILL pay) *sigh* So I hear ya, Debbie.

I know you'll reach your "The End" soon, and you know what comes after that? Rewrites! Yay!

I have faith in you, though. ^_^ And I'm thinking that I definitely want to read whatever story you end up writing. (It's a YA, right? I read any genre, really, but I am totally here if you want my youthful (immature) perspective.) ;D You'll meet your goal this week! And it'll be awesome!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Sounds like everyone's working hard. Even if you aren't moving ahead, you're making progress, plotting, planning, even just thinking about your story is progress because it gets the creative juices flowing.

I didn't get nearly as much done this week as I wanted. Wrote about 8K words, but I really need to be writing almost double that. I'm halfway through the book with two months to go to deadline. From now on my goal is 2K words per day. I'd like to have this baby pretty well done by early May so I have a few weeks to work on revisions. It's doable...I just have to push myself.

Oh, one other plus...I got the blurb written for my novella. I have a rough outline in my head for the plot and my characters are coming to life. That's where that whole "thinking" about your book thing comes in. Even if I'm not writing it just yet, I'm working on it. And it's all percolating up in there somewhere.