Thursday, April 29, 2010

LATE . . Again


I switched with the gracious Eli for today, and then life continued to intervene as it has the last few weeks, and here we are at 9:00 p.m. This link has been making the rounds lately, so you may have seen it, but it's a good one.

Top 10 rules for Writing Fiction

I talk with my students a lot about the need to create personalized checklists. Lists of rules are only really helpful when they really speak to you. Which of the 10 rules do you agree with? Disagree with? What would your own list look like?

3 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Seven struck a chord with me. In my paranormal the CP's were always asking me to explain historical things that in the character's POV sound like I was tossing in information to toss it in as the character wouldn't describe the item or it's use in their POV.

Great list! Thanks, Wavy!

Alice Sharpe said...

They're all noteworthy although some like never describing a character or painting a scene wouldn't fly too far with many romance readers. I personally like a spare style and most of the time try to achieve that, but some of this is subjective taste, don't you think?

Number four is one I agree with (just use "said"), I try to do this with the exception of "he yelled" when someone is angry instead of "he said" -- stuff like that. Maybe I should rethink that. Maybe what he says should express his anger or a simple, "he raised his voice as his eyes bulged." Hm--

A couple of book ago, I got a new copyeditor and OMG, the woman was a pain. She crossed out half of my "said"s and livened them up with "sniveled, cried, whined, giggled, chirped and heaven knows what else. I had to go back and change them. Ack. Which meant my editor had to change them, as well. What a waste of time.

Thanks, Wavy.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ack! Now I have to go cut half my book because I'm pretty sure I did all of those.

"Grumble, grumble," Elisabeth exclaimed suddenly!