Monday, March 29, 2010

Fear- a great motivator

Current Project:Isabella's Adventure(working title)
Status:pulling all the research together

There have been so many times in my writing career I've felt like I grasped a technique or an idea and used herculean effort to put it down on paper only to have the story rejected or dismissed. Then a shining light in a contest placing or kind words from another writer would spur me on to try again. Learn something new; find another premise that sparkled bright.

Finally, the day came a publisher wanted my story, in fact they wanted several. Granted it was a small publisher but someone wanted my stories. I continued to hone and find interesting subjects. I even started giving back- workshops, critiquing, editing. After all isn't that what it's all about- you scratch my back I'll scratch yours?

And now, I've set my sights higher still. I'm digging deeper into "how to" books, pushing myself to write something out of my comfort zone and reeling in the "go get-'em" attitudes of the people around me who have heard my premise and get giddy for me.

Before, I wrote for the pure pleasure of putting on paper a story that intrigued me. Today, as I put letters on the page, I am pushing myself to a level I've never gone and one that I hope will propel me to where I want to be.

Someone in past posts asked if we'd ever written outside our comfort zone. In a few weeks, or months, I'll let you know how the experience feels. Right now…. I'm scared to death I'll fail the people who are pulling for me.

10 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- This reminds me of when Eli mentioned she had a paranormal idea. At the time, I believe she'd sold all three of her Stolen books and one had been published and received excellent reviews. She went ahead with the project and that's the book that will come out next month with four more to follow. That was taking a chance and going forward and I admire her for trusting her instincts just as I admire you for trusting yours.

I saw a sign in the store the other day -- it said something like, "Even if you choose the right road, you'll still get run over if you just stand in the middle of it." I've been thinking about that a lot. If my current project tanks, I'm going to think about it a lot more.

Don't worry about the people who have faith in your project -- what they really have is faith in you and I seriously doubt you could truly disappoint them. Good for you! (And adorable pictures.)

Kendra said...

I like your quote, Alice. It resonated in my brain as I read it. Very appropriate for me at the moment.

Good luck, Paty. We're all pulling for you.

Genene Valleau said...

Hey, Paty! Count me among those who have faith in you! And Alice is so right--no matter how this new journey turns out for you, it won't be a "failure." You may decide this isn't the path you want to take. You may write the next NYT bestseller(s)! It doesn't matter. What does matter is that you are putting your heart and soul and action into this new venture. Whatever you do, I'll be in your cheering section.

So have I ever written outside my comfort zone? Yes, but not as deeply as I could have. Hmm...time to go digging.

Genene Valleau said...

P.S. Most of the photos on the blog aren't showing up for me this morning. I'll check back later to see what I'm missing. :)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Genene - I had trouble seeing the pictures this morning, but they're fine now. Must be gremlins in the system (I didn't let mine out, I swear!)

Paty, I think pushing yourself as a writer is never a bad thing. And amazing things can happen when you do something outside your comfort zone. That's how I wrote STOLEN FURY, that's how I wrote MARKED. Every time I've felt like a book has been "the one" it's because I've challenged myself in a new or different way.

Good luck on your new project. Can't wait to hear how it's going!

Paty Jager said...

Hi all, thank you for all your confidence in me.

Alice I love that quote! I'll have to print it up and tack it somewhere.

We are driving through a dust and wind storm I've never seen the likes of before! There was even half a mobile home in splinters along side the road. So much dust crossing the road at times we can barely see.

Deborah Wright said...

Paty, I think it's great that you're stretching yourself and writing outside your comfort zone! It's scary and there's no guarantee of success--except...just by doing this, I think you're a success, because whenever we try something new, we grow.

You're an inspiration!

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Debbie!

I've been kicking around how to start this story and I must have been channeling Piper... I was taking a shower and it came to me! Wa La!

Genene Valleau said...

LOL, Eli! I figured it was a Blogger glitch or something going on with my browser, because it wasn't just our blog that had disappearing pictures. But I was just zooming through things too quickly to quit out of the application and go back in.

Besides, the pictureS are cute--I especially like the donkey--and a great way to wrap up the evening. :)

wavybrains said...

Awesome post Paty! I can't wait to see how your big adventure turns out!