Friday, November 27, 2009

Authors beware


Current Project:For the Love of a Sister
Status: Synopsis

I haven't been receiving e-mail from my website e-mail account. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. My daughter thought I must have deleted something in my Thunderbird but when I went to my host site, there wasn't any e-mail in the box. I went to another one of my e-mails that I had routed through that e-mail and they were all bouncing back.

I called my host and they said I never paid the renewal on my domain name.WUWT? I know I received an e-mail about the renewal and I followed their directions, but there is no record of the renewal and I can either wait two weeks when the domain is up for grabs again and pay $9.95 or I can get a whole new website and domain name for $160 today. It looks like I'm going without a website and e-mail for two weeks because I am not paying $160 for their screw up.

So be aware those of you with domain names. DON'T let them lapse! It's a nightmare.

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I posted a Friday Free For all.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Paty, I'm sorry this happened. I've heard of people who wait for domain names to become open and then snatch them up and sell them back to authors at super high prices. I hope that doesn't happen to you and that you're able to get your domain back at the $9.95 price.

Katie said...

Ugh! Everyone wants to rip everyone off! It's so frustrating. Why can't we all just get along and eat pie? Huh? That would be awesome! Hope it works out, Paty. {:)

Paty Jager said...

Eli, They gave me a website to check everyday and as soon as the domain is up for grabs I'm to call them and get it up and running again. But what a pain. I don't even know who might have that addy to contact me for submission I have out. Oh well.

Thanks Katie, I like the idea of eating pie except my pants are fitting too tight so I started a diet today.

Deborah Wright said...

Paty, what a nightmare! Do they have anything where you can set up an automatic renewal? That's saved my bacon more times than I care to admit.

By the way, the chapter google group shows your email bouncing (not surprisingly). If you have another email you can use temporarily, you might want to update your profile so you get the chapter group emails.

Piper Lee said...

Ugh! This sort of thing just begs one to scream...

'I hate technology!'

I hope you get it worked out smoothly.

Although Katie's idea of getting along and eating pie is wonderful, we who are heading "over the hill" can't eat like we used to, dang it!! LOL Good luck with your diet. :) Drink lots and lots of water and chew gum when you get a craving. That's been working for me. Well, until yesterday. LOLOL

Genene Valleau said...

Yikes, Paty! I'm confused. Why is the domain up for grab again in two weeks but not now? Did someone else buy it to hold onto it?

Yes, I have automatic renewal on my domain names, but this made me uneasy enough that I printed out a list of my domain names and when they are up for renewal.

Thanks for the heads-up and hope this gets resolved quickly and smoothly.

Linda Rader said...

What a mess. Thanks for the heads up and I hope everything is up and running in two weeks.