Thursday, October 08, 2009

OBSESSIONS AND OTHER THINGS

Posted by: Genene Valleau
Current Project: Nine-book series

Status: Working on master timeline and scene worksheets for all stories


I'm at that point in a project where it has become an obsession. Pretty much every waking moment is spent thinking about or working on my work in progress. You know, the period of time where feeding dogs (or kids), paying bills, or interacting with family members without calling them by one of your characters' names is a challenge and, oh-by-the-way, is taking time away from working on the story.

From other blog entries over the past months, I'm not the only one who has hit this point. Actually, after a year or so where I focused on other things, I'm enjoying this immersion in writing. And, even though my mind is occupied by this series project, I am keeping an outward balance in other areas of my life, such as promotion of an upcoming project...

Three members of Mid-Willamette Valley RWA (Christine Young, C.L. Kraemer and myself) have an anthology of stories being released from Rogue Phoenix Press in February 2010. We now have a cover for that anthology (pictured at left, I hope). The three stories in this anthology feature "write-in" parts that were auctioned off as part of a fundraiser for the Willamette Humane Society. We offered this item in their fundraiser again this past weekend, and I'm hoping to hear details about the winner for our 2011 anthology soon.

I'll be updating my writing Web site soon (after Debbie's presentation at our October meeting :) to include more information about the anthology as well as a special holiday promotion on my "Rock 'n' Romance" books released last year.

How long does your obsessive stage with a story last? A couple days? A week? Until you finish the story? Do you try to balance this obsession with other pieces of your life or do you just ignore everyone and everything else until the story is done?

And now, back to my obsession for awhile before I call it a night...

8 comments:

Genene Valleau said...

Blogger wouldn't let me post a graphic of the cover for our Valentine's 2010 cover, so I'll try again later.

Alice Sharpe said...

I almost blogged about this yesterday, Genene.

For me it's the deadline thing. I tend to not plan anything else during the last 6-8 weeks of a deadline and lately, that means three or four or more times a year. I'm hogtied and bamboozled and I did it to myself. I don't go to the dentist or to the doctor unless I'm bleeding or something. I don't travel if I can get out of it or plan meetings or go to town and wander through a store for the hell of it. I write and see my mother and buy groceries.

But that's not quite what you're talking about. You're talking about love's first blush. Infatuation, obsession, focus. I'm talking about duty and worry. I actually love what you're going through and I hate what I've made it into. So, I guess I need an attitude adjustment! Send some of your positive healing waves my way and when I see you at the meeting, don't mind me if I'm sitting next to you in the hopes your muse might have a private tête-à-tête with mine....

I hope you figure out a way to show us the new cover!

Paty Jager said...

Genene, you amaze me with all that you do and this new nine book project. I would be nuts if I had that many books in my head at once!

I obsess over getting one thing done to get on to the next. After my marathon of writing last week to finish the anthology entry- I bowed out of the anthology. This story is larger than 27,000 words. I left out so much that makes this story what it is that I've decided to make it a full length book.

But I can't work on it until I finish edits on the two contracted books and write my half of a book I'm co-writing with another author. Then I can think about it, but I also have the second book of the spirit trilogy to finish and the last book of the Halsey brothers series to write. So you see I don't obsess over one book and its characters, I obsess about multiple books and getting them done!

If I had definite deadlines I think I would obsess more over one book, but the timelines I have are
self imposed. That's the only thing I don't like about TWRP. Once you sign the contract they have one year to get it published. So other than that you really don't have a set deadline for anything. They just have to publish within a year of the contract signing. And you don't sign a contract until the book is finished and accepted. So there is no push to get a book done other than your own "obsession".

Interesting post, Genene. Looking forward to the cover if blogger cooperates.

Genene Valleau said...

Unfortunately, I still can't upload photos to blogger. Don't know if it's something I'm doing/not doing or just blogger.

Alice, positive healing energy on its way to you! How you pull off your deadlines amazes me, but it sounds like it takes a toll.

Paty, sorry the novella for the anthology didn't work out, but I'll be looking forward to seeing that story as a full-length book--after the spirit trilogy and the fifth Halsey brothers book.

The deadlines for the nine-book series are kinda loose also, but I know I have to really push my usual laid-back writing style to get these done the way I've promised to--which drives a good deal of my obsession, I think.

Perhpas your obsession over multiple books is similar to mine with this series--but mine are inter-related, so when I move forward with one story, it moves everything forward. You get to change gears completely for your multiple projects!

I need to dash out for awhile, but will try to post the cover again when I get back. I may end up just posting it on my Web site with a link if blogger is still fussy.

Enjoy this gorgeous day!

Genene Valleau said...

Well, since blogger still won't let me post graphics, I put the new cover for the February 2010 Valentine's anthology on my Web site **www.genenevalleau.com** if you want to take a look.

Alice Sharpe said...

Ooh, Genene, very nice!

Deborah Wright said...

Obsession. Not just a fragrance by Calvin Klein. ;-)

Yep, I know it well. I'm at the stage with my current WiP where I'm constantly thinking about it, the characters, the plot, the whole nine yards. I think I've mentioned dreaming about the characters at one time or another. I guess I almost have to be slightly obsessed to devote so much time to people who don't exist except in my head. Well, that, or possibly schizophrenic--but nope, I'm a writer (at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it). LOL

By the way--nice cover, Genene!

Genene Valleau said...

Thanks, Alice and Debbie, for the kudos on the cover.

Debbie, I thought you might be able to relate to this topic. :) But what do you mean these people don't exist except in your head? Nobody told me that! LOL!