Saturday, September 12, 2009

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project: Untitled
Status: page 52

Hi everyone. Is it just me or are the weeks streaking by?

As noted above, I'm back at work with a Nov. 15th deadline for the book, a next Friday deadline for the art sheets on this same book, and a Sept. 25th deadline for the final edits on the Feb. release book. Lots of hats to wear this week while the dh goes camping. Since he'll be gone, Kujo -- er, Bonnie Puppy -- gets to spend the night at a kennel so I can come to Salem Thursday night for our meeting. Our former dog would have hated a kennel; I have a feeling this one is going to love it. Slumber Party!!!

Speaking of the meeting -- Lisa has me billed as the pitch doctor. Isn't that cute? While I think it may be a bit of an overstatement, I do think all of us can benefit from paring our stories down to salient facts, so I plan to work on a pitch for mine, too. Even if you don't plan to pitch your book now (or ever), grasping what its essence is can't help but be beneficial. As one page swells to three hundred, a book can get to feeling like bread dough with too much yeast, unwieldy, its core lost in the mass, so come if you can, don't think of this as just a workshop or conference skill.

Now it's your turn. How's it going?

9 comments:

Kendra said...

I need to offer an apology for missing my blog day on Tuesday and for my general absenteeism. My head's been somewhere else recently.

Alice Sharpe said...

Kendra -- I just want to say that you are the very best at saying a lot and a little at the same time! Now I want to know where's your head's been. (I'm the curious type. Sounds so much nicer than admitting I'm nosey.) Btw, nice to have you back.

Piper Lee said...

Hey Alice, I'm excited for your class!

I've been working on my pitch today. I'm down to six sentences! Woot! I figure if this isn't a good enough pitch then it will possibly make a good back cover blurb. *fingers crossed*

I'm bringing it with me to the meeting and will bow to your expertise if you tell me it sucks. LOLOLOL

Kendra-- I hope you find your head. *grin*

Bethany Gabbert said...

Piper, I am just giddy that you have a pitch. I need to get started for Thursday as well.

As for me, I've been making slow but excellent progress on my outlining. I'm working through more of the excellent worksheets from Mary Buckham, and entire portions of the book are now clear, and I'm following my motto for this book: "Raise the stakes." My number one goal for this book is to improve my pacing and conflict while keeping my MC likeable.

I'm side-tracked right now by a project that I'm going to blog about this week: I'm making Tavy a book for her second birthday. She loves books so much that I thought I would make a story just for her. So that totally counts as progress too?

I'm dreading the return of teaching and the loosing of this momentum I have going right now. I want to finish my Tavy project in the next few days, work some more on the outline, and GET A FIRST CHAPTER. Oh, and get a pitch for Alice on Thursday!

Alice Sharpe said...

Whoa, Piper, who said anything about a class?

Let's call this a mutual discussion and then I can go back to breathing regular.

I'm so glad you're preparing a pitch! Can't wait. (And there will be no bowing.)

Alice Sharpe said...

Bethany -- I think it's just wonderful that you're making Tavy a book. Would love to see some of it (or all of it) if it's at a stage to be shared.

I love reading the enthusiasm and determination in your words and am betting you'll find a way to juggle it all with teaching when school starts. Think of us all as your rooting section.

See you Thursday.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Alice, you are a busy, busy girl!!!

I'm back to work too. This week I figured out my daily page goal to meet my deadline. So far I've hit it every day. Fingers crossed it continues. I know I'll have edits on MARKED coming soon, so I need to make as much progress on book 2 as possible before that happens.

Looking forward to seeing you and everyone on Thurs!

Alice Sharpe said...

I did the page count on mine, too,Eli. Three and a half pages every single day and I'll have it. Of course, I can't write every single day but I don't really need to. What I need is something to get me out of this inertia I'm in, this beginning of chapter four doldrums. I'm looking forward to having your angst to keep me company this fall.

I got the edits done yesterday (these were the AA's -- Author Alterations -- and so they were minimal)but it still amazes me how many times something can be read and poured over and still show mistakes and inconsistencies.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, too.

Paty Jager said...

I've written one sentence while on the cruise. Two days of seasickness cut into my creativity. BLEAH!

Congrats to all and Alice I am so bummed I won't be there for the meeting. Today we head to our daughter's in Kodiak until Saturday.