Tuesday, May 27, 2008

GIVING THANKS FROM A GRATEFUL HEART

Today, I pause to give thanks to all of you for enriching my life in the world of writing. I have learned so much through your kind and caring hearts and spirits. Amidst the frenzy and plummets of life I sometimes forget to give thanks to all of you for giving your time, encouragement, advice, smiles and hugs. Each enriching act paves smoother footfall for me up the mountain in the writing kingdom.

Though I lag behind in the bottomland one of you will point out the right path, and another offers words of guidance when I face an unexpected crossroad. In the midst of following, stumbling and jumping over the mud holes you have all leapt over with grace, I land smack dab in the middle of a pit of quicksand. Footsteps slap double time and a generous hand takes my own and lifts me from the muck of struggling to learn deeper POV, characterization, black moments, and resolutions, all meant to swallow me.

Thick in a fog I hear one of your voices laced with kind words of assurance as I languish in the dark forest of writers block. My anguish and despair dissipate and are replaced with your still, soft whisper that echos the chant, ‘This too shall pass.’

Tempted to quit at times, your inspirational stories of drive and determination have instilled the passion in me to continue on; to persevere with my dreams and goals. I am reminded again; one positive word can dismember a multitude of stumbling blocks.

I know this lifelong writing journey will forever unfold surprises, some good, some unpleasant. My feet now march to a lighter cadence and my heart cherishes the invigorated beats all your friendships have bestowed upon me. For true friends waltzes through the door of our hearts carrying the warm rays of compassion, understanding, and loyalty.

I am blessed and I thank each of you for your many kindnesses.

What are some of the best words of encouragement you’ve received about your writing that hurdled you over a mountain of doubt and despair?

10 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Lori -- You're right, sometimes we forget to say thanks. So I'll add mine on top of yours.

<<<< Group hug >>>>

Encouragement can come in so many guises. An actual, "You can do it, don't quit now," or like you said, by example.

I know this blog all on its own forms a kind of base camp for me as I don't make as many meetings as I'd like. I very much appreciate having a place to check in and see what other people are up to and read what their take on some aspect of writing might be. Sometimes these relationships consisting of little bleeps in cyberspace are the only contacts I have outside my family in a day -- or, during a deadline rush, even longer.

This is where I would insert a smiley face if I knew how:-) Thanks, Lori, for the reminder.

Paty Jager said...

My internet is working at the moment- but don't hold your breath!

This group and blog is what has kept me writing and moving forward - through their encouragement and knowledge.

The rejection letters that said love it, but... also kept me writing.

Anyone who has sent me e-mails. I get them, but I can't answer. My interent server is coming out on Thrusday to change things around. So hopefully, I'll be up and running normaly by then. And all my typos lately are because I'm huyying to get things written before my service clicks off!

Great blog, Lori!

deborahwright said...

Lori - thank you for posting this. I know I haven't been a member for very long, but one thing that's already amazed me -- and that I'm thankful for -- is the generosity I've seen.

I'm just starting my journey in this wonderful, crazy world of writing and you all have made it seem a little less daunting. I'm sometimes hesitant to put myself forward, especially since I am so new here, and yet, when I do pipe up, you've all made me feel welcome. Being a died-in-the-wool introvert, I can't tell you what a difference that's made.

Every meeting, I learn something new. Even when I have what I call a "brain freeze" (aka a deer-in-the-headlights moment), such as I had during Paty's presentation at the last meeting, I still take away some knowledge or inspiration. By the way -- thanks, Paty -- I may not have been able to get my brain working during the meeting, but I've rewritten some scenes in my WIP keeping in mind the insight you provided.

-Debbie

Genene Valleau said...

Lori, you have such a lyrical, poetic voice! You're right on target that this group of fellow writers is an incredible blessing. I feel honored to join in Alice's group hug and add my thanks to yours.

I am inspired by each person's writing journey, whether it's the wisdom or street smarts of a multi-published author or the enthusiasm of someone just starting out, or all the accomplishments in between: starting a new project; finishing a scene, a chapter, a book; selling a first book or a 30th; getting a glowing review.

Even the stumbling blocks (or writing blocks) and how each person worked through them can be inspirational.

Perhaps the encouragement that made the biggest difference in my writing career was Chris Young urging me to submit a manuscript to Awe-Struck E-Books. I went from deciding not to pursue being published to selling three manuscripts in less than a year. That's definitely a difference! So thank you, Chris, and thank you each and every one for being willing to share part of your writing journey.

Thanks, Lori, for the reminder to be grateful.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Great blog, Lori. "Thanks" for posting it.

The things that have encouraged me are:

1) My family's encouragement. My hubby's support, my mother's faith I would "make it", my daughter praying every night that "mommy would sell her book" (I know, of all the things to pray for, that's minor, but it was very sweet.)

2) My critique partners. They kept me going whenever I was down about a rejection or how slow the industry moves.

3) Instant Messaging and good writer friends I can bother at all hours, no matter my stumbling block or frustration or need to share.

and,

4) This blog and our chapter. Always encouraging and just so fun to be with other writers who "get me".

Alice Sharpe said...

Well put, Eli.

And by the way everyone, check out the front of the blog page under coming soon or whatever it's called and you will see Eli's fantastic new cover!!!!!

Lori Barber said...

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and added thanks you all around. We are an awesome group.

Karen Duvall said...

[[[[[[[[group hug]]]]]]]]]

Aw, this is such a special blog, Lori! I've been in meetings all day today so haven't had much time to read stuff online, let alone post a comment. But this is very nice.

I agree, too. When I first moved to Oregon from Colorado, I was devastated at having to leave my writing anchors behind, all my writing friends who'd been my inspiration and support for eleven years. The first thing I did before I even left Colorado was seek out a substitute group here, and that's how I got hooked up with Genene and Paty through email. I'd only been here maybe a week when Paty and I met for lunch. I've been a part of this group ever since. 8^)

Thanks so much for welcoming a "foreigner" into the fold. I don't know what I'd do without our annual retreats!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Aw, thanks for the plug, Alice. I'm still grinning every time I look at the cover. I can't believe how "REAL" it suddenly all feels!!! I know it's old hat for some of you...but...woooooow. :)

wavybrains said...

Awesome post Lori!