Last week, Tavy and I went to the Friends of the Library Book Sale. For $13.20 we got a huge bag of books. A lot of hard to find YA, some picture books, and of course, a ton of romance. As I added to my TBR pile at home, I started to feel a little guilty. I don't BUY books. I mean, I buy books, but I don't BUY brand new books very often.
Most of my books come from:
- Packages from my mother. My mother is a librarian, and she regularly raids the discards and donations for me.
- The library,. Now that I'm getting out of the house again, I'm back on a steady diet of 5-8 library books a week. Tasty. I've started showing Tavy board books and letting her "pick," so that she too knows the excitement of a library book.
- Friends of the Library Bookstore. I love supporting them, and I buy around 10 books a month here, and usually donate around the same amount.
- Friends/Freebies/Book Swaps. I get books from give-aways, our chapter book swaps, trading with friends, and other freebies.
- Half.com. I feel guilty even admitting this to a group of writers, but when the above fails, I usually turn to Half to find what I want, cheaply.
- Amazon. Ditto Amazon. One of my writing gigs pays me in Amazon dollars, but I always try to find stuff in the bargain bins.
- Borders. I pay full price for about 10-15 books a year, and usually at least half of them are people I know through RWA. The other half are usually self-help/non-fiction/gifts/impulse.
And lately, I've been contemplating joining Paperback Swappers, because I'd like to read more by some hard-to-find authors, and I'd like to stop using Half.com so much. While amazing for cheap readers like me, I can see how authors would hate Swappers and other sites like that. Because, of course, what you WANT to have happen is Reader A loves your book, recommends it to Person B, who runs right out and buys it (full price), who tells Person C, and Ta Da! NYT Bestseller.
Perhaps I should do even more book reviews on my blog to balance things out? Should I avoid Swappers out of solidarity to my fellow authors? Where do you get YOUR books? Has your views on used books changed since joining RWA? Are there certain authors whose books you try to get at full price? Any other thoughts on used books?