Thursday, April 10, 2008

SERIOUS PLAY

Perhaps I need a vacation, or maybe just some serious play. So, for today's blog, I combed the Internet for romance-related trivia. Here is some of what I found:

-- You've probably heard that 53% of all mass market paperback books sold in this country are romances. That means romance novels earn more money in the USA yearly than baseball.

-- The longest married couple is believed to be a Taiwanese couple who celebrated their 86th anniversary in 2003. Liu Yung-yang and his wife, Yang Wan, are listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for the world's longest marriage.

-- For Valentine's Day 2000, a liqueur manufacturer created the world's largest box of chocolates. The heart-shaped box, assembled in New York City, measured 15 feet high by 15 feet wide and weighed some 1300 pounds. It held the record until November of 2002, when Marshall Fields broke the record with a 2,002 pound box of chocolates in Chicago.

-- Wild cabbage was traditionally recommended as an aphrodisiac.

-- You burn 26 calories in a one-minute kiss.

-- According to English folklore, Saturday, the most popular American choice, is the unluckiest day to marry!

-- Janet Evanovich wrote 12 romance novels before moving to the crime genre to author her highly successful Stephanie Plum series of novels. She credited with this quote on the preparation for her genre change from romance to crime: "I spent two years retooling - drinking beer with law enforcement types, learning to shoot, practicing cussing."

-- The average woman uses up approximately her height in lipstick every five years.

How about you? Heard any good romance trivia lately?

8 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I don't have any romance trivia to add, Genene, but I found yours interesting. Thanks for tracking those down!

Karen Duvall said...

LOL, Genene! I just found the same romance trivia website you did. At least I think it's the same one. Here are some more:

The average engagement lasts 6 months.

Two out of five marry their first love.

The word honeymoon first appeared in the 16th century. 'Honey' is a reference to the sweetness of a new marriage and 'moon' is a bitter acknowledgment that this sweetness, like a full moon, would quickly fade. (ouch)

One in 5 men proposes on one knee.

6% of men proposed to their girlfriends over the phone.

And here's one I know from somewhere else, though can't remember where I heard it:
Humans are the only species on earth that have face-to-face sex.

To find more fun romance trivia, go to http://www.romancestuck.com/games/romance-trivia.htm

Thanks, Genene! I love trivia. What a great idea for a blog post. 8^)

Paty Jager said...

Intersting tivia, Genene.

I'll see what I can find to add to the list. At the moment, I've got nada.

You know, Karen, most of your stats, I don't fall under. I or my spouse are oddballs! LOL

Genene Valleau said...

LOL! You know, Karen, I found those same statistics on a number of sites. They may have all come from the same original source.

Thanks for letting me be playful with the blog today. Maybe I feel the need to play because it finally seems warm enough to actually be spring. Earlier today my doggies just spent some time out in the backyard wandering around. I did not, however, eat the grass and shove my nose in the dirt to investigate interesting smells!

Genene Valleau said...

P.S. to Eli and Paty -- I'll be watching for your trivia. If I can tear myself away from playing. Oops, play time is up! I've got to get to work now.

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene -- thanks to Karen, who responded to this blog thanks to you, I am now mentally reviewing what I know of animal sexuality trying to think of something that has face on sex. I bet you if Disney did X-rated, the mice would be batting their eyelashes at each other. Meanwhile, been through most the mammals, on to reptiles, ack!

Fun blog, enjoy spring!!!

Paty Jager said...

Hre you go:

Many an early wooden bathtub was fitted with a shelf across the middle to hold food and drink. Oval in shape, said tub was designed so two people could face each other over the shelf, and dine. The practice was practical, to get the maximum out of a minimum of hot water. But it fell out of favor when Queen Victoria moved the morality of the western world.


This one's for Danita! LOL

A lover on the island of Trobriand customarily bites off his lady friend's eyelashes. He would never take her out to dinner, however, unless they were married. To share a meal with her would disgrace her.

It's reported that more than 10,000 marriages a year now are directly traceable to romances which begin during coffee breaks.


It is a matter of record that romantic Canadian porcupines kiss one another on the lips.

The matrimonial pollsters contend their studies indicate the man who kisses his wife good-bye when he leaves for work every morning averages a higher income than does the fellow who doesn't do that thing. Husbands who exercise the rituals of affection tend to be more painstaking, more stable, more methodical, thus higher earners, it's believed.

Genene Valleau said...

Er, Alice, if you find something about reptiles, please warn me before posting your comment. LOL!

Ah, Paty, you visited that Web site too. The one about the bath tub made me go "Hmm." Could be interesting scene to work into a book. :) The eyelashes vs. meal thing kinda slides down there with reptile sex though. Alice, are you still going through the animal kingdom? Have you checked out the kissing porcupines? But maybe that's only in Canada!

Thanks for joining in, everyone. I enjoyed the chuckles!