Wednesday, February 27, 2008

CHALLENGE CHECK-IN

We didn't have a challenge check-in this weekend because I was at the coast with no internet. I think everyone who went on the retreat will agree not having internet access was a plus -- it helped keep you focused.

I'll go first. Today is crunch time for me. The book is complete except for an epilogue -- very handy when the books are relatively short, the characters haven't known one another long, and it is the second of two related books. Before I can write the epilogue, I need to read the book from cover to cover to make sure I plug any existing holes and as this is also rewriting day, it's going to be intense. But on Friday, the book leaves the house (bye bye book, I'll miss you) so it's now or never.

This does remind me how glad I am I've been going back and forth as I write, cleaning up discrepancies as they occur to me. The thought of having two days to do all that makes me a little sick in the stomach…

Okay, your turn. How's it going? For those of you not involved so far, this isn't a 1,000 word a day challenge or a three month binge deal, this is a set your own goals, check in once a week, hold yourself accountable challenge. You can join anytime you want and if you slacker off for awhile, hop back on, gird your loins (what does that mean, anyway?) and pony up to the bar.

Remind us, and perhaps yourself, what your challenge is. If you have met it, what's next? That's the big question for me as I finish this book -- what's next? I have an idea or two...

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

As most know, I finished the first draft of Miner in Petticoats- now it sits while a CP is reading it and I do some revisions on Spirit of the Mountain before I send it off to my editor.

Then I'm going to start on proposals for two contemporary stories and a western series. My goal is to have those done by Nationals.

After that I'll dig back into the Miner book and get it ready to give to my editor in September.

Oh and I FINALLY received the release for Outlaw in Petticoats. I think it got lost in the production department- anyway, It will be released in e-book on June 6th and print December 5th! Nothing like 6 months after I was first told!

Anyway, It will be out, but it screws up the plan myh editor had for the next two!

Great job on getting that book cranked out, Alice!

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty, I don't understand your 4th paragraph. What does, "Nothing like 6 months after I was first told!" mean?

Your plate if full!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Alice, I'm sure you'll get through the book with time to spare. Congrats on ALMOST being totally finished.

Wow, Paty, you're a busy girl. My head is swimming reading your to-do list. ;)

As for me...after the weekend I haven't done a lick of writing because....I just sold!!!! The last two days have been a blur of contract negotiations, agent phone calls and lots and lots of disbelief. I still can't believe it. I put the details on the loop for anyone who's interest. ;)

Alice Sharpe said...

Whoohoo!!!!

Congratulations, Eli.

This is fantastic news!
(Tell us more... like when your deadlines are, etc...)

Lori Barber said...

Alice, congrats on running the last lap and nearing the finish line.

Paty, congrats on finishing Miner in Petticoats and finishing up revisions on Spirit of the Mountain.

Eli, huge congrats on your first sale. How exciting!

I'm still in quilt land. I decided to also make a quilt for my mother's birthday next week. Now, if I could just steal some more hours and stuff them into my day I'd have time to get some more rewrites done too. I added a snippet to my book last night, but it was pushing midnight and my headlights were on dim as well as my brain.

Karen Duvall said...

Everyone is progressing nicely, that's great! And congrats again, Eli, on your sale. What exciting news. 8^)

I haven't touched my revisions since Sunday, but this weekend I plan to finish them.

Paty Jager said...

Alice, I had "assumed" because of how things were going through production that Outlaw would have been out in e-book Dec. 2007 or Jan 2008. So in essence it is coming out 6 months later than I'd planned/figured.

Big congrats, ELI!

Geez, Lori, one quilt wasn't enough, now you're becoming the quilting Diva! Hope it goes together faster than the last one! And congrats on getting some writing done last night even if you were on you last drop of fuel.

ps: I'm still working on the tote bag.

Danita Cahill said...

I think I all ready mentioned that I am totally done with rewrites on Vanishings/eyes in the mist/Fear -- whatever the heck this dang book is called. Ha! Rewrites were done in long hand, so I still have to input them. That is done during toddler naptime. That is, during nap times when I'm not napping as well. I better enjoy sleep while I can...

Yesterday I wrote another essay with the local paper in mind. They have a section in the Sunday edition called "Writer's Corner". I guess I'm a little addicted to seeing my byline in print....

Congrats, Alice to your almost doneness, and of course to hitting your deadline yet again. You rock!

Eli, big huge congrats again on the sale! What amazing news that is. Hope you'll blog on the process as you go.

Lori and Paty -- good luck getting the quilting projects done on time. Speaking of hobbies, I think I'm going to enter a flower photography conest coming up. Also picked up two big wedding shoots for this summer. Yay!!