Monday, January 28, 2008

Tis the season for new books

Before I get into the topic I am going to talk about - today is a snow day!!! Woooo! Yeaahhhh! I'm faking the enthusiasm a bit. See, I'm the person at work who lets the media know if we have a late start or a day off due to weather. That means I get a call at 5 or 5:30 and I begin my work. Today we had a 2 hour late start. Since I was up at 5 looking at the snow level, anticipating whether or not I'd get the call, I figured it was pointless to try for more sleep. Luckily it was pretty outside!

















Now back to our regularly scheduled blog...

The season I'm referring to in the title is not the holidays "season." I'm talking about the season for new book releases. I don't know about you, but it seems that the beginning of 2008 is full of new books I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on. Ok, my hands aren't grubby or little.

My excitement began weeks ago when I was adding anthropology books to my Amazon wishlist (so I can monitor the used prices and keep track of books I want). Then I noticed the recommendations feature. Have you ever used it? It's amazing. The recommendations are pretty darn good. I began adding some of my favorite romance novels to my "already own" list, so I could get some romance recommendations.

It would recommend books I already own, and love. That's what gave me confidence in this system. You can just check a box that says you own a book, then you can refresh your recommendations. One of my favorite book series is the Argeneau vampire novels by Lynsay Sands. Amazon showed three upcoming releases in the series! I couldn't believe it. No really, I couldn't believe it. They were back to back like a Nora Roberts trilogy. I didn't think the dates were right. I mean, how many authors have monthly releases in their single title series? The most I've commonly seen is one every six months. This series is usually yearly or six months I believe.

I went to her Web site and sure enough, Amazon was right! OMG! Three new Argeneau books! I recently picked up the first one. Devoured it, LOVED it. I laughed the whole way through it - Accidental Vampire is one of the best in the series. The next one comes out tomorrow, Vampires Are Forever, then one in a month, Vampire, Interrupted.

Amazon also told me that a new Kerrilyn Sparks book is coming out, The Undead Next Door. I like her series as well. A bit of a wait, but Michelle Rowen (love her!) has Lady & The Vamp coming out on April 1. Susan Elizabeth Phillips has the paperback version of Natural Born Charmer coming out on February 1. The depressing part is - that's all that's listed for her! No upcoming releases! Gasp! I need me some SEP!

When it comes to book buying, my biggest problem is remembering to check and see when my favorite authors have books coming out. I bought a little notebook from Borders (it has books on the cover, hehe) and I've written in it books I want to buy when they come out and favorite authors to watch out for. I've also created a spreadsheet that lists all of the books I own. Many have said I'm crazy, Eli, *cough cough.* But this list has saved me from buying duplicate books. It's hard to keep track!

So, tell me, what books are you looking forward to? I always love recommendations!

10 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Snow day!

Actually, my kids are off today for the snow (which is pretty much already melted here and it's not even 9:30 yet!), so my grand plans of getting lots done today are out the window. After a non-writing weekend due to basketball games, birthday parties and general craziness, I was hoping to get things done, but alas, not looking like the case. (And today is the youngest's 3rd bday, so I probably wouldn't have gotten much done anyway.)

Where was I? Oh, right. You asked about books. LOL

Sadly, most of the books I'm looking forward to are coming out until later in the year. The latest JR Ward, the second book in Nora's trilogy, the next Kresley Cole (which I have no idea on a release date) and Cindy Gerard's newest series which comes out next fall. In the near future though, there are a couple I'm waiting for: Alice's March release and Roxanne St. Claire's latest in her bodyguard series which is released sometime in April. A friend of mine has a print release coming out of one of her books this spring from Sahmain, too, and I'm in the dedication, so it'll be fun to see my name in print (LOL - sorta). Then there are some great chapter member books coming out soon - Genene's April release and Terry McLaughlin's May one. So lots of fun reading ahead.

And yeah, Lisa, like you I'm in need of a SEP fix, but I already read NBC so now I just have to wait until she comes out with something else. Of course, there are lots of old books of hers I still haven't read. Might be time for another trip to Amazon...

Alice Sharpe said...

I wouldn't call you crazy, just overly zealous... er, yeah. That's it.

I could never do all the plotting and planning and spread sheet thing like you do. I have favorite authors I look up on Amazon every once and awhile to see if they have something new coming out. Happy days when they do. They're all mystery writers so I won't repeat their names as I've mentioned them before.

If I wrote it all down in a notebook, I'd forget the notebook. It would either be down in the car when I was upstairs ordering on the computer or at home when I was at a book store or, most likely of all, just plain lost.

The pictures are really nice!!!!

I love snow!!!!

Fun blog, Lisa.

Alice Sharpe said...

Eli, I posted at the same time you did so didn't see that nice comment about waiting for my March release. Thank you.

We had six inches of snow yesterday -- it was beautiful, it just snowed like crazy. We took a long walk -- so neat. Today it was snowing when I woke up but has stopped. The driveway is buried so it's a good day to get the edits done and advance the book.

Paty Jager said...

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa- I wish you were a fan of mine! LOL Wow! You are a zealous reader!

I wish I had more time to read. Or I guess I should say made more time to read. I took a book with me on my last trip but it was so boring I didn't even finish it. And it was in my genre- Western historical. I learned something I've known all along. I could never write for Harlequin historicals. They are boring!

I'm anxiously awaiting Alice's and Genene's books. For my own genre, I'm waiting for my CP's West Texas Wind book to get published. And for Karyna DaRosa and Devon Michael's to come our with something new.

Paty Jager said...

PS: We have about 6 inches on our side of the mountain today too. Very pretty.

Genene said...

Lisa, thanks for the beautiful pictures. I live down low by the Willamette River, so we only a skiff of snow this morning, which melted pretty quickly.

Believe it or not, I don't have a spreadsheet of upcoming releases. I wait for booksignings and reminders or newsletters from authors I know -- including our chapter members. Thanks for the kind words about my upcoming releases. I only want to know if you like them, not if you bounce them off the wall. :)

Hope you all stay safe and warm!

Danita Cahill said...

Lisa,
I'm not much of a reader of the undead, so don't know that my references would be your cup of tea, or should I say, your cup of blood? HA!

I collect certain books. I'd like to have the whole set of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series and the whole set of Sue grafton's alphabet mysteries. Eventually, I'd like to have both sets in hardback, preferably first editions -- I can dream can't I? I've actually found several of Grafton's first editions at Goodwill of all places.

I also collect any and everything that Pearl S. Buck wrote. I have a big collection of her stuff, including a book of poetry and a children's book, along with her olive green paperback novels that cost 35 cents in their day. I love her writing and many of her stories are set in China. Since I've been there, I find them interesting.

I'm sort of veering off subject here, but once I was heading to Portland with a friend -- date actually, it was during single days. We stopped to use the restroom in a tavern about Silverton and on the way out we each stuck a couple dollars in the poker machines. I got a 4 of a kind, won $40! So, when we got to Powell's bookstore -- couldn't you all just spend days and nights in that place? -- I bought a first edition Pearl S. Buck for $35. I was stoked. What does that have to do with new books coming out? I have no idea.

As for new books -- I made a long Christmas list for my SIL of new releases I wanted, since she drew my name. But she went a different route and got me all the kitchen gadgets, which were also on my list. I like the butter dish, turkey baster and red rubber spatulas, but dang it, though, I wish I could have that list back...

Great Blog, Lisa.

Danita Cahill said...

Alice,

Flo posted a comment for you on my last blog day, if you want to scroll back and check that out. I knew she was published, but didn't realize how many times.

I am enjoying your Royal Heir book now, and wondering if I should cash in the ticket to the island before or after the baby comes....?Ha!

Danita Cahill said...

My eldest was off for a snow day too. We had 6 inches here! It's raining now, but a lot of the ground is still white.

Danita Cahill said...

Eli,

One of my CPs listed my name in the credits of her first book a few years back. It is a kick in the pants.