Monday, January 21, 2008

Giving Back

Today is the kick-off of a project my publisher, The Wild Rose Press, is initiating.

Judith Rochelle, is one of our multipublished authors at The Wild Rose Press as well as a personal friend. In late summer, 2007 I approached her with an idea of a project that would enable RJ and me to give something back for all the wonderful things that had happened to us since we opened in May 2006.

I wanted to find an organization that I felt everyone, everywhere would care about and really embrace. While many qualified, the one that kept coming back to my mind was St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

A few days later, Judith created a synopsis and a proposal for a book incorporating romance, suspense and St. Jude's. It took my breath away at what she'd come up with. Judith wrote the book, RJ and I edited it, and Kim Mendoza did the beautiful cover. None of us, including the publishing company, will receive any compensation; every penny will go to St. Jude's. Children's Hospital.

The result of this, is the amazing Crimson Rose book called "On the Run" by Judith Rochelle. The book will be offered in both print and electronic format. The amount raised will be announced on our web site twice a year. The first report to be posted at the end of June 2008.If you've purchased this book, thank you for your contribution to St. Jude's, if you haven't purchased it yet, I strongly encourage you to do so.

The download is $5.00 and will go into a special fund to be donated to St. Jude's twice a year.If you would like more information on this project, you may contact Rhonda Penders at rpenders@thewildrosepress.com. To learn more about the author, please visit www.judithrochelle.com.To see the amazing work St. Jude's does, please visit their web site at www.stjude.org.Thank you for your support of this important project.Rhonda Penders


I've had the name and phone number of a person to contact who is in charge of Project PJ. A program where you provide pajamas and picture books to toddlers in safe houses and under the state's care. I just need to determine how much of my sales I want to put toward this and make the call to commit.

Do any of you put writing money toward a cause or would you when you are published? I'm a firm believer in giving back. It's just taking that initial step to get started.

10 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

I've earmarked advances and so forth for family members but it never occurred to me to think in larger terms. Thanks for the idea.

I agree with you that St. Jude's is a very worthy cause and that it's good to give back. I also admire your civic spirit and will look forward to hearing how this all works out.

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Alice.

Anonymous said...

As many of you know, Steve and I are very devoted to the local fireman's toy drive, and strive every year to FILL the Bug with new toys. Generally, we have our shopping done before Thanksgiving (starting with the after-Christmas sales), and there is a photo op with the Bug spilling toys out, and the firemen unloading, etc. Makes a great kick-off to the toy drive.

One of the ways we do this is to take part of each payment, advance, etc, and shop. We watch sales, follow ads, and shop all year long to amass enough toys to fill a New Beetle - and we have succeeded almost TOO well a couple years! There was one year I had to hold toys in my lap because there was no more room in the car!

So, yeah. It's something we do, and enjoy. It's a great feeling to know you've done something wonderful!!

Chris York

Paty Jager said...

Your toy drive sounds like lots of fun, Chris! I'd love to see a photo!

Alice Sharpe said...

Chris, I LOVE your idea. The only part I don't love is the aspect of storing all those toys and loading them into the car, but the idea is splendid. Real hands on.

I gotta think of something that doesn't take an extra bedroom!

Alice Sharpe said...

Oh, I would love seeing a picture, too.

Genene said...

Funny you should mention this, Paty!

Fantastic idea, by the way. And I love the image the Beetle filled with toys brings to mind, Chris. What fun!

My books all seem to have pets in them. (In spite of Alice's warning not to leave the dog out in the rain!) So I've decided that at least 10 percent of my profits from my books will go to animal welfare -- either a local animal shelter or to my dog rescue/sanctuary when it's up and running. Probably no big surprise there.

Alice Sharpe said...

Bravo, Genene, although I dare say when you have your own sanctuary, it'll turn into a lot more than ten percent!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Sounds like a great project, Paty. I don't have advances or royalties yet, but my hubby and I contribute to several worthwhile charity causes in our area.

Danita Cahill said...

I love the work ST. Jude's does. A friend and I went on a cattle drive in central Oregon a few years back. It was a fund raiser for St. Jude's. We raised nearly $2,000, plus got to play real cowpokes on our horses for the weekend. It was great fun.

Best of luck with the project, Paty.