Thursday, December 20, 2007

WHAT WILL YOU GIVE YOURSELF FOR CHRISTMAS?

Around the holidays last year, I wrote a blog about gifts for yourself. Not physical gifts, but gifts of the spirit. These were actually gifts that I started thinking about around Christmas that turned into New Year's resolutions. I guess they could be called giftolutions. Here are some of my giftolutions from last year: the gift of time to write, the gift of saying no to tasks that don't help me reach my goals, the gift of doing nothing for an afternoon instead of juggling a dozen different errands.

So how did I do? So-so.

I finished another manuscript, though taking much longer than I wanted to. I did pretty good at saying no to tasks that didn't help me reach my goals, although there were plenty of tasks connected to my goals that kept me busy. That meant my goal of doing nothing rarely happened.

However, I like the idea of giftolutions enough to do it again. So what's on my list this year?

-- The gift of dreams; ones that are a bit scary and a lot exciting.
-- The gift of time AND focused energy to pursue those dreams, writing-related and others.
-- That gift of saying no to tasks that don't help me reach my goals is a keeper for this year also.
-- The gift of a regular artist's date (as Julia Cameron would say) to refill the creative well.
-- New socks. (Hey, I need to have one practical gift!)

So my giftolutions are very similar to last year's, but refined a bit. How about you? What's the best gift you could give yourself?

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I like your new word- giftolutions!

The best gift I could give myself...
-- to say "No" or not offer to do projects that take away from my writing time.
-- To do more of putting my writing first.
-- To give myself time to relax and regroup.

Alice Sharpe said...

I like you blog and your giftolutions idea.

I've been thinking about this.

I would gift to myself more spontaneity.

I would also like a small order of thinking outside the box.

And if it's not asking too much, I would like a little unpredictability.

That's it.

Paty Jager said...

Nice choices, Alice! (had to say something so I could click the follow-up comments box)

Karen Duvall said...

Genene, I'm sorry I haven't commented, but I don't know what to say. I never give myself much for Christmas, though it's been tradition for me over the past several years to use Thanksgiving week to write. Maybe that's been a pre-Christmas gift to myself. 8^)

I'll write over the Christmas holidays this year, as always. Any free time from the day job is automatically diverted to my writing. But I will give myself the gift of no-writing for New Year's. My husband and I are spending it at Elk Lake Resort this year, where music friends of ours will be playing with their band. So I won't take the laptop along, just the cross country skiis. And a book to read. 8^) They just got four feet of snow up there. Whee!! I'm so excited to play in the snow.

Genene said...

Isn't it interesting where we are in our lives?

Paty, sounds like your life is a whirlwind right now.

Alice, spontaneity and unpredictability as well as thinking outside the box. Sounds like you're ready for a big change.

Oh, Karen, your trip to Elk Lake sounds like fun! Play time and a book to read afterward. If you curl up by a fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa, it would be heaven!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I tried to reply to this yesterday but my wireless internet kept cutting out.

I would gift myself the following:

More patience.

Less stress.

The ability to let go of things and let others do them.

More time alone with the DH.

Danita Cahill said...

I would like to give myself permission and intention.

Permission to go back and work on some of my stories that need work, instead of always feeling the need to start fresh over and over.

And intention to send my latest book out to many publishers -- the big, the small then the epubs.

And could I get fries with that?

Fun blog, Genene!

Genene said...

An order of fries coming up, Danita! And look for permission and intention in your stocking on Christmas morning!

Oh, Eli, I don't want to hear horror stories about wireless Internet. I'm thinking that may be my only option when I find property and move out into "the sticks." Had to chuckle at your giftolutions as you take on the role of chapter president, especially the control one. From personal experience, I'd encourage you to follow Paty's example of delegating as much as you can so you don't burn to a fried, crackly crisp. Just a suggestion, mind you!

Thanks for sharing your gift lists, ladies! And if I don't have time to check the blog between now and Christmas, I hope you all have a merry one!