Every once and awhile I receive an email forwarded by a friend called Getting to Know You or something similar. Flattered anyone wants to get to know me better, I always answer them. But I am often puzzled by some of the questions. For instance, what does my favorite color have to do with anything? I mean, does it say something about me that I like pink more than red? Or that I prefer jammies over nightgowns?
I don't get it.
So here's my survey. Hopefully, it will reveal something more interesting about each of us than what we wear to bed…
1. What was the VERY FIRST thing you ever wrote (besides your name and the ABCs) and does a copy of it still exist?
2. Who was the VERY FIRST person who gave you the feeling your writing talent was special?
3. If everyone and everything left you alone, how many hours (be honest) a day do you think you would devote to writing?
4. If you subtracted your pre-writing weight from your WIP weight, divided the difference by three, added the number of children in your extended family and still came up with a number exceeding the speed of light, would you continue saying writers need chocolate?
5. When you write your breakout best seller and become so famous Hollywood wants to make a movie about your life, who would you cast to play the part of You?
6. Who would you like to play your significant other(s)?
7. I've heard Sue Grafton's motivation for writing her first novel was the lust to kill off her newly divorced husband. Who would you like to write into a book and then torture, maim, or lock in a closet for fifty years (no names need be given) if no one would ever be the wiser?
8. Have you personally engaged in all the sexual acts you write about and this includes location, etc…?
9. If you could spend one day in one of your books (either finished or partially done) which would it be and why?
10. What would you be if you couldn't be a writer but could be anything else in the world?