Friday, October 12, 2007

Goals, Goals, Goals

(Paty's chomping at the bit because it's 1:04 and there's no new post up yet...)

Sorry this is late. I had a nightmare night with the 2 yr old. I won't bore you with the details, but I ended up with about 2 hrs of sleep, then got up and went running with a girlfriend and then was stupid enough (in my sleep-deprived state) to agree to a weight lifting class after. By the time I got home I was ready to drop (sore and in a grouchy mood). Oh, and did I mention it's an inservice day so the Gremlins are home? Ay ya ya...it's going to be a long day. This is the first chance I've had so far to get to the computer.

So goals. Lisa reminded me that I haven't posted a 100-Day challenge check-in in a while. Well, yeah, there's a reason. I've been slacking. After I sent the proposal I'd been working so hard on off to my agent two weeks ago, my writing energy has dragged. Switching gears is definitely something I need to work on. And this new project is not the gimmee book the earlier proposal was. I've restarted it about 4 times - different scene, different POV, different location. I think (hope) I've finally figured out the right starting place, but who knows. I have a feeling I'll be going back over this again and again.

But that's irrelevant to you as you could care less. However, you DO care about the challenge, so I'm going to tell you where we're at. We started the 100-Day challenge on Sept. 4th. The goal was simple: write at least 1000 words per day and in 100 days' time, you'd have a 100,000-word first draft (or finished, depending how you write). We are now in the middle of week six (there are 15.5 weeks total, with an ending date of December 13th), right around day 40. So if you were doing the 1000-words per day, you should have about 40K words total at this point. Everyone with me so far????

Some of you might be thinking, "ugh! I'm supposed to have 40K words already??? No way!" Fear not. If you're behind that mark, don't sweat it. Just recommit to getting back to work and moving forward. For those of you who want to make the commitment from here on out, imagine...if you joined us and committed to 1000-words per day you could have 60K words written by December 13th! That's a full length category or YA book! (Becky...that was for you).

So now that the cheerleading is over with (whew!), check-in time, ladies. How's the writing going? What are you working on? Have you been writing consistently, are you hitting your goals, are you making writing a habit? (Because, come on, we know it is. Once you stop writing it's that much harder to get back to it.) Even if you're not doing the challenge, let us know what you're working on and how it's going.

18 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Okay, I'll go first.

Like I said, I've been a slacker. I was afraid to look at my word count totals because they've been so dismal the past two weeks. In the first month of this challenge I wrote 43K words, and over the last two weeks a measly 6601. However, I'm still ahead of the game at 49,601 words, so I guess all isn't lost. I am recommitting to that 1000 words per day though. Last night Lisa IM'd me and asked if I'd written anything yet today. We had a long conversation (mostly it consisted of me grumbling about how tired and blah I was feeling about the new proposal), but it must have inspired me because I logged off after she ditched me to go read and ended up writing 1500 words.

The point is it's never too late to get started writing. Even if your goal is only 100 words per day. You can do it. :) And I'm here with my trusty whip to make sure you do.

Alice Sharpe said...

I remember days like the one you are having. Ack.

Seeing as I have over 100,000 words to write between now and Feb. 28th, I'll take you up on your challenge and go you a bit. Gulp.

Stop beating yourself up because you needed a little break between projects. Writing on demand is always tricky -- this has to be an on-the-average thing if you are in it for the long haul and not just the duration of a challenge. What motivates you to even rise to the challenge is your internal desire to succeed and that will burn inside you for a long time...it's not going to be dampened by a few weeks off.

Besides, every muse needs a breather.

Karen Duvall said...

Eli, I'm coming into your challenge late, but am committing to only 750 words a day. Gulp. I have 15,000 words so far, so it will take me 113 days to get to 100,000 words. I don't think my book will be that long, at least not in its first draft. The more I revise, the longer it will get. That's my process.

Now I'm off to take the dog for a walk, then it's back to the wip.

Paty Jager said...

Hah! Got ya scared! I actually didn't get a chance to get to the blog until now. Busy day. 4-H sewing morning, then ran around Bend giving a book to the TV person for my interview on Nov. 1st. Then to the book store to give them posters and postcards to hand out and some other minor errands. But I'm back now.

I haven't written much on my blog in a week and a half! But my total is 14,467. I'm hoping November will be my killer month when I can really concentrate on the book and get it ready to start sending to my CP. I like to send her the first draft and that pushes me to get the thing done because someone is breathing down my neck waiting for the ending.

Okay, that's it. I have to feed animals and get ready to go to dinner with dh and a couple he invited.

Thanks for the push, Eli!

Paty Jager said...

Glad Alice and Karen are jumping on the "Goal Wagon". Woo Hoo! The more the merrier!

Lori Barber said...

Eli, I returned from Sweden on Sept. 4th. and wasn't worth anything for a few weeks until I got my internal clock straightened out. So I didn't know about the challenge until I worked my way through a million emails. I decided to take the challenge in silence and did really well the first two weeks. The next two weeks were hit and miss. This week I haven't tapped out one word in my WIP. So, apparently the silence commitment isn't working.

I'm in the same seat you are in...where to start the book! I too have changed scenes, locations, and POV. I thought I finally was barreling down the right track and had a writing friend read the first 3 pages and now I'm back to wondering again.

I'm re-enlisting in the challenge. Maybe if I join this boot camp, the support will drive me forward. Hoo-ya. Hoo-ya.

Lori

Alice Sharpe said...

Eli --

1,109 words today. Not as many as I should, but at least I'm starting.

Lori, good for you. What kind of book are you working on?

Alice Sharpe said...

Oh, and Lori and Eli, I feel your pain. Books with tricky beginnings are so difficult. It's like being lost in a maze. But my experience shows that eventually, when you least expect it, the proper time and place and PV will pop into your head. That's what happened on my current WIP. The prologue was set in stone except for endless refining, but the fist chapter changed a million times even after it went to visit my editor (it's in another POV now.)

I don't know how, but it seems to eventually make sense.

Karen Duvall said...

Urm, only 512 words so far today. Sigh. My client in Hawaii called and derailed me. Yeah, yeah, I know, excuses, excuses. Pfffft.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Good point, Alice. I'm finding that whole - transitioning to someone else when I just want to keep writing on the first - hard to deal with. How do you do it?

Way to go on the 1100 words. You're way ahead of me for the day. ;)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Woohoo, Karen! Glad to have you join us! The cool thing about already writing 500 words is that you are only 250 words from your goal for the day. Push yourself. You can write those 250 before the day is over.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Paty, you sound like a busy bee.

Hope dinner was fun. I'm sure Nov. will be your kick-ass month.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Awesome, Lori! One more to add to the challenge. I'm with Alice, what are you working on?

Karen Duvall said...

Actually I made it to 1072 words by 6:00 tonight. Hee hee. 8^)

Lori Barber said...

Alice & Eli, I'm working on my 'Cumbler' book, the one with the pastor on roller blades.

Lori

Alice Sharpe said...

Oh, Lori, that's a funny one. Are you going to bring some of it to the critique meeting?

Lisa Pulliam said...

Nice job Eli! My pestering can come in handy sometimes :p

Everyone is doing so great!! I'm definitely behind. I've got about 10k, but I switched books mid-challenge. So that's my excuse :) But even with that excuse I'm behind because I should have at least 1k a day since I started the book. But I don't. Unless you cound the outlining. Then I'm at about 15k. I need to get crack-a-lackin!

Lori Barber said...

Alice, I'm thinking of bringing a beginning reader picture book I wrote.

Lori