Wednesday, September 26, 2007

RRTWIE

This is going to be a short blog because I have a cold and don’t feel so good. To console myself during this time of ickiness and also, at other times, to amuse myself while I'm thinking great thoughts, I play a little game called TextTwist. It's a game that gives you mixed up letters and challenges you to find all the combinations of words of three or more letters that can be made by rearranging the letters.

Thus the word above unscrambles to -- you got it -- WRITER.

Your challenge is to make a word using any combination of the letters within WRITER (of three or more letters) and spin it into a little something about being a writer. Or about the craft of writing. By my bleary eyed count, there are at least 11 words and possibly many more. I will start it and because I am such a great person, I will use one of the words that may require a little … imagination. I hope you have fun playing along. It won't take more than a moment or two. And if anyone can make more than eleven words, please let me know.

Okay, I chose the word ERR. This word comes to mind easily this week as I mentally review the proposals my editor has yet to read (she has more writers than me working with her -- did you know? What a shock!) Anyway, I don't lay awake at night thinking positive things. Oh, that it should be so. I could smile in my drowsy state and mumble into my pillow, "Wow, I sure did a great job with that whole car sinking into the river scene. Man, I am just a wonderful writer. Damn."

Nope. I think of the bad stuff. And because of the only sentence I can think of that uses ERR in the present tense is "To err is human, to forgive divine," I am going to take the liberty of putting it in the past tense which actually works here because the proposal is gone and I am thinking backwards, so to say.

So, I lay there and think of the many issues, both complicated and dreadfully simple, where I ERRED. "Man, you dolt. Do you realize the bad guys walked right by the wreck and didn't even notice one of the cars had a Nevada plate?" Or, "Yikes, what's a man hiding out with a gunshot wound in his leg doing with a friggin horse?" Stuff like that. I err, therefore, I rewrite.

Your turn…

14 comments:

Paty Jager said...

LOL! Alice I love it!

Tier- I'm hoping to reach another tier on the mountain to success. And be as neurotic as Alice! LOL

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty. Nice one. However, ahem, neurotic? Me?

Piper Lee said...

Alice-- So sorry you're not feeling well. And worrying won't help your immune system, so knock-it-off! ;)

Okay, I'm going to try your challenge...

To write, you don't have to go through an actual RITE, but I'd ERR if I didn't admit that sometimes I TIRE of not having enough WIT to over-flow the WEIR in my mind and let the words flow onto the page.

I found only eight words off the top of my head to use from WRITER, but I could only figure out how to use 5 of them to "spin in to a little something about being a writer".

Hope you are feeling tip-top soon!

Alice Sharpe said...

Piper -- what does weir mean? That's one I didn't get. So now there are twelve. Where's Karen when we need her?

I liked your ditty. At times, when you just can't get something right, do you feel IRE with yourself? Does it make you so distressed you wished you drank so you could TIE one on?

Okay, okay, enough!

Piper Lee said...

LOL Alice! Yes, I do oft-times feel IRE with myself, but those days of tie-ing one on are past. Too many hang-overs. LOL

A WEIR is a small damn or enclosure designed to trap fish or regulate water levels. Thus, the WEIR in my mind often traps my ideas and won't let them flow as I'd like. :)

Lori Barber said...

Alice - Hope your cold flys away soon.

I'd like to us my 'wit' (which comes natural to me as my maidne name is Witt) and connect and 'tie' all the dangling ends of my WIP so I can write 'The End'.

Karen Duvall said...

If you think you're a real WRITER, you're all WET until you complete your RITE of passage. When it gets down to the WIRE, a writer won't TIRE, and I am living proof of that. It gets up my IRE, though, when writers think WIT is all IT takes to WRITE a great story. You've got to TEW the line, you know? And then TIE it down. There's no WRIT that says you have to be perfect. As long as you're a good TRIER, you'll make it to the next TIER of your writing goals.

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen -- You clever girl. I liked your story.

You came up with another one I missed -- TEW. What does it mean? Thanks for the weir info., Piper.

Here's my list:
RITE
RET
WET
WIT
IRE
TIRE
ERR
WIRE
TIE
TIER
WRITE
WRITER
WEIR
TEW

anymore?

Karen Duvall said...

Dont's forget WRIT (law) and TRIER (someone who tries). Tew means the same as tow, just spelled differently. 8^)

Alice Sharpe said...

Lori -- How far are from writing the end in your WIP? Which book is this?

By the way, I don't think I remembered or got the chance to tell you how much I enjoyed your blackberry story in the country magazine. It was pitch perfect and so charming.

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen, you're right. I forgot WRIT, Trier and I looked up TEW, good call.

Lori Barber said...

Alice - Thank you for the nice compliment. I'm about 3/4 from the end of my WIP but I'm going back through and adding a second POV and working on picking up the pace and making sure each scene moves the story forward.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

These are fun. But as it seems you've all hit them, I'm not going to play. (And I hate games like this anyway. LOL)

Danita Cahill said...

Do you play the word scramble in the Sunday paper, Alice? I can never solve that...

So, I'm with Eli on this one and claiming the fifth.