Saturday, September 08, 2007

Challenge Check-In #4

Okay, I'm about to put out an APB on Danita. Where is she?????? Do I need to post another wanted poster? What about a Missing Persons poster? Hmmm...may have to think about that. If I wasn't writing like a fiend right now, trying to finish the book, I'd already have it up.

Switching Gears. Challenge check-in time. How'd everyone do yesterday? (Lisa, we're still waiting for your updates!!) I had a busy day yesterday and didn't have any chance to write during the daylight hours. Then DH brought home a movie and after the Gremlins went to bed, we sat down to watch Blades of Glory (totally stupid but idiot-funny). By the time it was over, it was 10 PM and on any other day I would have called it quits and gone to bed. But I didn't. I committed to this. So I opened the wip, sat down and started writing. At 900 words I was ready to throw in the towel, but I pushed myself, knowing I could get 100 more and reach my goal. And then, magically, something amazing happened right at the 1000-word mark. I hit my stride and kept writing. Ended up with 2412 words in 12 pages and finished a scene. One more chapter to go (which I hope to do today) and then I'm DONE.

So tell...how'd your writing go yesterday?

11 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

I love the end of the book when you have to push yourself away from writing instead of toward it. You're so close you can taste it now, and don't you find yourself dying for the fix of having finished?

I did a little clean up work yesterday (realized I had the hero forgetting his rifle and leaving it here, there and everywhere,) Mostly worked on the edits, about half done. Line edits, or any edits, are an important part of the process, of course, and so I don't see this as a failure to advance. When that sucker leaves this house only to return one more time before it shows up in book format, I'll be a happy camper.

Piper Lee said...

Wow Eli! Good for you!!!

I'm doing the happy dance on my desk for your awesome accomplishment last night! Oh crap! My in-box just went flying off the desk and onto the hard cement floor. Great. So much for my dancing skills.

Had to LOL at Alice's hero leaving his everywhere.

Keep up the great work girls! You're doing awesome!

p.s. I loved Blades of Glory. Too funny! Jon Heder and Will Farrell together are quite a mix.

Barbara said...

Congratulations, Eli! Great job! You've discovered that writers can also catch a "second wind."

Alice Sharpe said...

Edits done. Back to chapter three of 2nd proposal.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Thanks, Barb!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Way to go, Alice!

And guess what??? I didn't take a nap after all.

I'M DONE!!!!

2309 words today and THE END. Wow. Now that's a good feeling.

Going to start my final read-through/edit tomorrow. And write in the new book. Gotta keep up that 1000 words per day. ;)

Piper Lee said...

Woo Hoo Eli!! Congrats on the big finish! Way to go!!!!

Karen Duvall said...

Yay, Eli! Good for you! Woo hoo!

I'm preparing for the Colorado Gold conference. Yippee! I wait all year for this and I'm really excited. I have an editor workshop with the senior editor of Del Rey Books, and I have an agent appointment with Jessica Faust of Bookends.

Preparing for a trip away from home can be a bear. My husband is coming with me to Colorado this time, only he won't be WITH me, he'll be staying in another town visiting friends while I stay in the conference hotel. That's okay, we'll be together again at the hotel on Sunday night. That's when my two kids still living in Colorado will come to visit, and I can't wait to see them. I'll get to see my second grandson! This is my son's son, Zack. And my youngest daughter, Renee, is 15 weeks pregnant. This will be her first child. 8^) This is going to be such a great trip!

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen -- It sounds as though you're going to have a wonderful time with family as well as at the conference! Enjoy every moment. And say "Hi," to Kay for me.

Paty Jager said...

Awesome, Eli! I wish I could chime in with a word count but Friday I had company and couldn't sneak away to do any writing and yesterday I left the house at 5am to attend Mary Buckham's workshop (which I have some great stuff you are going to want to know)and returned home at 8 pm and crashed. I hope once I get the notes from the workshop typed up today, I can sit down and get some words on paper.

So I'm a loser at this point, but I'll try to make up for it this week!

Lisa Pulliam said...

Oy. I'm waaaay behind. I've got about a day's worth of words, and I'm stuck again. I don't know why I'm struggling so much with this book, especially early on! I turned in keys to my house yesterday and am done with the move (just unpacking now) - hopefully the alleviated stress will help.

Great job everyone! :)

Yay Eli!!! Woooooooo!!! That must feel so good!