Tuesday, July 31, 2007

To-Do Tuesday: Getting it Done!

Welcome to this week's marginally cooler To-Do Tuesday. You can tell I think about this column a bit much because when I saw DH putting on a light jacket before he left at 7, all I could think was, "Darn! There goes the hot weather rant I had planned!" Luckily, that's far from all I've got for you this week.

Our chapter members are enjoying a productive summer, and I've got their latest as well as some reminders, announcements, and links to keep you busy. I've also got a fun exercise for you to try out on your WIP, so be sure to scan to the bottom!
_____________________________________________________________________
New Cover for Alice Sharpe!

Check out Alice's latest cover on the sidebar! Chapter member and best-selling author, Alice Sharpe's latest release for Harlequin Intrigue, Royal Heir, will be out in October, but the cover has been released and you can pre-order on Amazon. Congrats, Alice!
_____________________________________________________________________
Karen Duvall Launches Blog

Karen Duvall returned from the PNWA conference with a stack of requests for her WIP! Even better, Karen found the conference inspiring and returned full of great ideas. She writes all about her conference experience on her new blog. Be sure to add her to your links and RSS reader! Way to go Karen!
_____________________________________________________________________
Trish Milburn Makes First Sale

No, she's not a chapter member, but I've written before on the blog about all that Trish Milburn does for RWA and the PRO chapter. We've all benefited from her tireless advocacy. After winning this year's Golden Heart for YA, she had even more good news to report: her first sale!

Her story is particularly inspiring--she's been writing and submitting for ELEVEN years, with 18 finished MS (EIGHTEEN!!), and has had an agent for three years. It's stories like hers that encourage us to never let go of the dream. Read more of her story here. Successes like hers are what RWA is all about.
_____________________________________________________________________
Bantam/Dell Launches New Line

Part of never giving up is seizing new opportunities. At the RWA conference, Bantam/Dell announced their new "Discovery" line which launches in Spring 2008. This line will be released in both mass market and trade paperbacks. They are currently accepting queries from both agented and unagented authors and are particularly interested in contemporary romance. Address queries to: Shauna Summers, Bantam/Dell, 1745 Broadway, New York, NY 10009
______________________________________________________________________
Contest Deadline Reminders!

TODAY is your last chance to enter the July contests at Writerspace. There are several contests from best-selling authors, with great prizes! But hurry!

The Golden Rose Contest offered by the Portland RWA chapter is still accepting entries! But, hurry, the deadline is August 4th! No need to worry about the post-office either, because you can submit and pay for your entry online. Click here for more information.

The On The Far Side Contest is desperately seeking Time Travel entries. They've got a great judge (Denise Dumars from the Ashley Grayson Agency), but they need more entries. If you've got a time travel MS or WIP, click here for more details!
______________________________________________________________________

2007 Scarlet Boa Contest


The fabulous NYT bestselling authors at Running with Quills are offering their 2007 Scarlet Boa contest. Entries will be accepted between August 1 and September 1, 2007. This year's contest is a single scene where your human character learns that they are enmeshed with a paranormal being--vampire, werewolf, or other fantasy being. For more details, continue to watch the Running with Quills blog!

___________________________________________________________________
Exercise of the Day: The Revelation

The Running with Quills contest got me thinking about revelations in general--not just the paranormal kind, but the moments when your hero or heroine learns something vital about the other. Consider your current WIP. Does either the hero or the heroine learn something shocking about the other? Does this serve as a turning point in the story? How do they learn it? From a third party? From their own investigation? Or does the other reveal the secret to them?A scene where the hero or heroine reveals their secret is going to have a much different feel than a scene where the other learns of the secret on his or her own. If you don't have any shocking revelations, consider how your WIP might be enhanced by such a scene. If you do have such a scene (or scenes) consider how they might play differently if the messenger were different. A third party revelation/secret discovery isn't necessarily the only or best way to increase tension. How could a reveal directly from the person with the secret enhance your story? Conversely, how could a third party messenger throw a monkey wrench into your characters' lives?

Share you thoughts and/or snippets of your scene(s)! As always, continue to send me your news, announcements, and links!

9 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- Thanks for putting up my cover info. and Eli, thanks for helping me with it. Of course, the artist didn't use any of my six pages of mandatory notes to come up with my vision, thank goodness as I think this cover is charming.

I don't have the time to dig into your exercise, Wavy. But I do wonder if I did a good job at that in the last book where there was lots of unveiling to do. I'll pay attention to that when it comes back to me in the editing process and think about what you've said in relation to my work, so thanks. I'll also use it to enrich the current work if the current work ever starts cooperating with me.

I want to write a time travel and get in on the fun! Or an urban paranormal. It all sounds cool.

I've got to get over to Karen's blog and check out the conference, so thanks for the link. You once again did a great job on Tuesday -- now I have to follow you tomorrow and after Lisa yesterday -- the pressure is on.

Alice

Karen Duvall said...

Does either the hero or the heroine learn something shocking about the other? Does this serve as a turning point in the story? How do they learn it? From a third party? From their own investigation? Or does the other reveal the secret to them?

About midway through Desert Guardian, just before they make love for the first time, the heroine learns something pretty shocking about the hero. It changes a lot of things, more for the hero than her because it's the first time he's ever told anyone his big secret. It's important for him to to know she doesn't care for him less because of it. It really shows him what she's made of, and shows her how he rises up in the face of adversity. The next day, however, things go south between them when she reveals a secret of her own and that's a huge plot point in the story.

I love stories with secrets, especially if hints are dropped like bread crumbs from the very first chapter. The reveal is loads of fun, and it's not always what everyone (including the author) expects.

Great news day, Wavy. Thanks for announcing my blog and my conference experience. It really was awesome, but I love conferences so it would be tough for it to be otherwise.

Alice, that baby on the cover of your book is adorable! I just want to pick him or her up and cuddle her. How did the artist ever find such a cutie? 8^)

Alice Sharpe said...

Thanks, Karen. It's a he (hough who knows what he/she really is!)

Alice

wavybrains said...

Thanks Alice & Karen!

I can't wait to see all the unveiling in Royal Heir Alice!

Karen, I also love stories with secrets. I've also seen a number of books though were secrets are handled in really cliche ways--and that can be a major disappointment too. I was disappointed with the way Christina Dodd handled the big reveal in each of her missing princess books--they're still good books, but the scenes miss an opportunity for added emotional punch.

Paty Jager said...

I have a lot of revealing in Outlaw in Petticoats because they are looking for information about the heroine's father. As things are revealed about him it also brings out emotions in both Maeve and Zeke. So they aren't really revealing anything about themselves, but they learn more about each other by their reactions. Which I guess is also a kind of revealing.

As always an awesome Tuesday blog, Wavy!

Great cover, Alice, can't wait for the book!

I checked out your blog Karen- nice!

Congrats, Trish! I love hearing stories like hers because it gives everyone hope. And makes me cringe less when someone comes out the gate and makes a sale on their first book.

I'll be hit and miss this week and no writing getting done since my daughter and her two boys are here. But I'll try to get to the blog every day and see what everyone has to say!

wavybrains said...

Enjoy your daughter's visit, Paty!

Trish Milburn said...

Wavy, thanks so much for the kind words on the blog! I just now saw it. You're so sweet.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Fabulous stuff in the Tuesday post, as always. Great job, Wavy!

Congrats to Trish on her sale! (I know I already congratulated her on the GH loop, but it's so awesome, I'll do it again here.) Woohoo, Trish!!

And, Wavy, I know I didn't comment last week (since I was gone), but way to go on finishing your wip! I bet that feels awesome.

As for the question, I love secrets. And I love it more when those secrets are revealed by those involved. I think it has more punch. In my last book, a major secret about the heroine's past (and which she didn't know) was revealed to her in front of the hero. It served as a major turning point as it not only changed the direction of the plot, but it changed the nature of their relationship in a bad way. Come to think of it, that was the black moment. Hmmm...and as I think of it more, my secret revelations always coincide with the black moment. LOL

Great post!

Genene said...

I have to agree, Alice, this is an adorable cover!

Also, great blog, Karen!

Wow, Trish, 18 manuscripts! I obviously write slooooower than you. And many CONGRATULATIONS on your first sale! I'm so glad for you!

Wavy, your question about revelations has got me thinking. There is a critical point in my WIP where the heroine discovers the hero's secret. Like Karen's heroine, mine doesn't think anything less of the hero. In fact, she stands up for him like a tigress in spite of the revelation. So that changes their relationship and his perspective of her. However, I can also punch up that scene. Thanks for the thought-provoking idea.

And great job as always on the Tuesday post, Wavy!